Laser to Treat Syringomas for Half Asian?

I am half Asian and have syringomas around my lower eyes since I can remember. I got them removed once by electrocautery, but they all came back again, and. maybe even more in clusters now. I am 27 now and it has really started to bother me. My undereyes look awful and wrinkly where the syringomas start and finish, and it just overall makes me look older. I went to a dermatologist and then got another opinion from a plastic surgeon in the area, and both of them suggest the TOTAL FX . Will it work? What other treatments would be best?

Total FX may treat under-eye syringomas

+2

Total FX has the ability to penetrate to a depth of 2000 microns, which may actually be deep enough to destroy the syringomas. You should know that syringomas are notoriously difficult to treat. There is no guarantee that Total FX would work or that the syringomas would not recur after treatment with Total FX. In my experience, a series of treatments with electrodessication or electrocautery still is quite effective for syringomas. Since you are in the Boston area, if you have not yet consulted with Skincare Physicians of Chestnut Hill, consider Dr. Rohrer, an excellent dermatologist in your area of the country.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Erbium (full resurfacing), and CO2 fractional same time

+1
Treated quite a few of these, as syringomas are very very common tumors. They can be difficult to treat, especially if they are deep, and more complex in darker skin types. 
My treatment is a combination of erbium laser, full resurfacing, followed by CO2 Fractional- in this case, I use the CO2 CORE. 

Most patients will get at least 80% improvement with one treatment. 

Recurrence over the years is the rule for all syringomas

Hope that helps, regardsDr Davin LimDermatologist, Cosmetic and LaserWestside DermatologyBrisbane, AUSTRALIA

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Syringomas difficult to treat

+1

Thank you for your question.  There are various ways to remove birthmarks, depending on its etiology.  For example, a birthmark caused due to a vascular problem needs a completely different treatment than a birthmark such as a mole.  More often than not, vascular birthmarks need to have some form of laser treatment.  They can require more, but a laser is generally a minimum.  Other birthmarks such as a mole, can be excised in the office with relative ease.  The size and location will determine the final outcome.  A photograph always helps but there is no substitute for and in person physical examination.  Make sure you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for the best outcomes.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Syringoma treatment for the lower eyelids in Asians

+1

I have performed many syringoma removals on light complexioned Asians and have used a combination of Hyfrecation followed by fractional co2 laser.  Before the procedure, I recommend a topical Melaquin PM cream to reduce the risk of hyperpigmentation. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Treatment of Syringomas

+1

In our practice we have great success treating eyelid syringomas with light (electrosurgery) electrocautery.  Our patients are very happy and have no permanent discoloration or scarring from the treatment.  It is possible that you had an excellent result, but went on to develop NEW syringoma lesions rather than the a recurrence of the ones that were treated.  Regardless, when done properly by an experienced, board-certified physician, treating syringomas with electrosurgery is an excellent modality. I think lasers are less effective and more expensive.

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Total FX can usually improve syringomas

+1

We have used the Total FX (Deep FX + Active FX) for improvement of syringomas. Since our goal is to avoid scarring, there is a slight risk that the syringomas may grow back--but then treatment can be repeated. We want to minimize the risk of a pigmentation change, especially in Asian patients.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologist