One Eye Appears More Open Than the Other - What Can I Do?

I've noticed my left eyelid is more open than the right eye about 4 years ago. I had LASIK done on only my rt eye 5 years ago. I wear a contact in my left eye.The white is showing above the blue. Thyroid was checked about 2 years ago and had MRI a year and a half ago to r/o abnormalities. Also went to 2 eye dr.s. What could possibly have caused this and what can I do to correct? I have no insurance and am unemployed, but very self conscious about this. Thanks..MB

Eyelid retraction

+1

Hi Ms. Sue,

I can see the retraction you have there.  It's hard to say for sure what can be done without an exam but here's a couple of things to know:

1.  Yes, this can be corrected with surgery under local anesthesia without too much down time.  About 5 to 7 days, practically speaking.  You'd have a little residual swelling that resolves over two weeks but nothing that other people really notice.  This would be done through an external incision (same incision used for a cosmetic eyelid procedure but a bit smaller) and you would have a few sutures to remove in 5 days.

2.  I don't think your LASIK had anything to do with it.  Try this, tape a patch over your right eye for an hour and see if the left eye relaxes.  If it does then something may need to be done to raise the right lid slightly.

3.  The thyroid check and MRI are the right things to do but on other (very rare) thing to look for is any breast masses.  Have you had a recent breast exam or mammogram?  A breast cancer spreading to the orbit is very rare but possible.  I really wouldn't be concerned but I would be remise if I didn't mention it.

4.  It's worth checking your thyroid again, specifically looking for blood markers for Graves Disease.

Hope that helps.  

Dr. Chase Lay

Web reference: http://www.chaselaymd.com

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.