How Do I Know if I Have Extrusion or Tissue Necrosis After Breast Augmentation?

I just had breast augmentation 10 days ago. I went from an A to C cup. I am worried about how thin my skin is laterally and close to my armpit. My implants are saline and placed under the muscle. I can really feel the edges of the implant where the skin is the thinest. It is worse on the lateral aspect of my right breast. When looking at the skin in these areas it looks lighter like the implant is placing pressure on the skin. How would I know if it's the start of extrusion?

Breast tissue necrosis and implant exposure

Th risk of implant extrusion is commonly associated with tissue necrosis which fortunately is a relatively rare event. However sustained vascular compromise of any tissue will eventually result in tissue necrosis. This assessment is not always an easy one.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Extrusion of implants

Without examining you it would be difficult to tell. Very thin skin can be difficult to deal with. You should really have close follow-up with your surgeon.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Thin Breast skin with large breast implant VS Breast Implant exposure

The ONLY person who can best advise you if you are seeing / feeling the normal side shell of an implant or are at risk of implant exposure through an ulceration of the side skin of the breast is your surgeon. I would see him promptly and see what he has to say.

Breast implant exposure is NOT common but has been known to happen with very large implants when the place pressure on the breast skin and are accompanied by other risk factors such as smoking and or poor nutrition.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Extrusion of Breast Implants

You should address this concern with your surgeon today.  If there is pending extrusion then this needs to be taken care of promptly.  Without examining you or seeing pictures, it is difficult to give you specific advice.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Possible implant extrusion

Clearly you need to go back to your doctor today and have them take a look.  It would be very unlikely that you were seeing an impending extrusion but your doctor would want to see you and put your mind at ease.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004