I'm Extrmely Self Concious... Can Liposuction Help Me?

I'm 18 5'7 and 192 pounds. I have always been rather large and extremely uncomfortable. I am not looking for liposuction to reduce my weight. I have most of my weight in my stomach, hips, and thighs. I have a rather small waist, and I'm perfectly fine with my weight. I just hate seeing my muffin top and my thunderthighs (as bullies called it). I have tried diet and exercise vigorously with minimal results. I want to be confident and have better self esteem. Am I a good candidate for liposuction?

Abdomen and Thighs Addressed with Liposuction

+1

If you have good skin quality and have tried weight loss systems without success, liposuction may be an option.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures every year.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction is not a weight reduction tool

+1
Liposuction will not reduce your weight by more than a couple of pounds. It is for body shaping, not weight reduction. I recommend that you seek nutritional guidance and a personalized diet program. After you have lost weight, if you still have a "muffin" top, then that would be the time to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposuction for abdomen and thighs

+1

Its good to hear you say you do not want liposuction to reduce your weight because liposuction does not make you lose any significant weight at all. It's also good to hear you say you are happy with your weight. You are also smart to understand that liposuction is very good for removing abnormally large amounts of fatty deposits in specific parts of the body - in your case the "muffin top" and thighs.

At 5-7, 192 pounds, liposuction will not work and is unsafe. If you are thinking to yourself that changing your diet and increasing your activity level (ie. diet and exercise) wont change your shape, you may be correct. You may find that getting your weight below 160 pounds will still leave you with a disproportionate amount of fat in your muffin top and thighs. Fortunately, getting your weight down below 160 pounds would make you an excellent candidate for reshaping your body with liposuction. You may find that your body reshapes itself once you get below 160 and you wont need any liposuction - that would be ideal.

Above all, understand that your confidence and self-esteem cannot rely upon what bullies have said to you nor can it be corrected by suctioning fat out. You will be amazed at how much better you'll feel by eliminating a few unhealthy items from your diet and increasing your activity level just a little. After a while of making these adjustments, you'll see your weight go down, your body change, your confidence and self-esteem go up. Once your down below 160, you probably wont be interested in liposuction and will want to continue losing more (although its not necessary).

Also talk to your doctor about other ways to reshape your body, ways to raise your confidence, and ways to boost your self esteem.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1

I agree that the question is difficult to answer without an examination or pictures, but some basic important concepts should help. Liposuction is a contouring procedure and it sounds like you understand that.  Excess skin and lost skin elasticity are not effected by liposuction, at least not positively. In fact, lax skin will appear worse in some liposuction cases. Go get examined by someone who can show you results and explain these issues using your body as the example. Good luck in your endeavor 

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction will not control weight

+1

Liposuction is unlikely to control your weight and possibly will not make you happy either.  You still should consider a plan of diet and exercise. Live well and let happiness come from within.

Be happier in the long run.

+1

Kameron,

You might consider getting professional advice with a diet and exercise program prior to having surgery.  I often refer my patients to another physician who specializes in this area before we proceed to surgery.  This can help you to get a better result from the surgery and to maintain the benefits of surgery over time.  I bet you will be much happier in the long run.

Good luck!

Michael Novia, MD 

Michael Novia, MD
Olympia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction indications

+1

Kameron, it is hard to assess your situation without photos and better yet a formal examination.  I sympathize with your predicament.  Liposuction was originally designed as a contouring operation to address troublesome spots of fatty excess.  The "muffin top and thunder thighs" that you reference are a trouble spot.  Your best results would occur if you were closer to a normal weight. As you already understand liposuction is not a weight loss procedure and should never be treated as such.  Weight loss does not involve a fad diet or trendy workout plan.  It involves a lifestyle change that incorporates a reasonable diet and an exercise plan that involves aerobic and weight bearing excercises.  Slow and steady wins the race!  If you get to a more comfortable weight goal and these areas persist, liposuction would be appropriate.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon