I am having extremely painful stabbing pains in my abdomen. Could something be wrong? (Photo)

I had cool sculpt 6 days ago today on my abdomen. 2 paddles on each side. I am experiencing very sharp pains and cannot sleep through the night. I am taking the muscle relaxers and iceing throughout the day. I consider myself to have a pretty high pain tolerance. I have had 2 breast augmentations and returned to work within a week. I'm just concerned about the incredible pain I am in.

Coolsculpting is a great procedure for the abdomen

+1
Coolsculpting is a great procedure, especially in the abdomen.  Some patients have some pain and numbness after the procedure, especially in the abdominal area.  These side effects should subside soon.  Our patients in NYC have loved this procedure and have come in for a second or third area after treatment because they have been so happy with the results.  For the best results please consult a board certified physician with experience in coolsculpting.

Painful Side Effects After CoolSculpting

+1
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with CoolSculptingĀ®. Although these sensations are not typical, some CoolSculpting patients have experienced similar symptoms. The good news is that these sharp pains are temporary and typically last for a couple of weeks. If the pain is significantly affecting your daily life, don't hesitate to talk to the doctor with whom you had the procedure. He or she can prescribe medication to ease your discomfort and put you mind at ease. Best of luck.

Jody Comstock, MD
Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting can cause severe stinging sensations in some patients

+1
CoolSculpting is a great treatment that provides fat reduction without an invasive procedure, but with all procedures, there are always some risks involved. The procedure has a very high patient satisfaction rating in our NYC practice and in some patients, the fat loss is as significant as if they had liposuction. Most patients are able to resume their normal daily and physical activities within a day or two after the procedure but most will feel some tenderness to the touch in specific areas. An extreme hypersensitivity to touch is an extremely rarely reported side effect and can be so painful that patients have noted that wearing clothing is painful. Stabbing sensations have been reported but anyone with unusual pain should discuss this with their doctor and possibly be examined to ensure that the post treatment course is normal. Pain tends to occur more after the use of the larger applicators in some cases.and the abdomen is the area where this tends to occur.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Stabbing pains in abdomen after CoolSculpting

+1
It is sometimes possible to get sharp, stabbing pains in the abdomen after a CoolSculpting procedure to that area.  There is a medication that is used to treat neuropathy that normally helps with this issue.  You should contact the physician who treated you to let them know about your pain and they should be able to prescribe this medication for you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon