Extremely Dry Nose 5 Weeks After Septoplasty and Turbinate Reduction Surgery?

Hello there! I had a Septoplasty and Turbinate Reduction surgery on July 29, 2012 (5 weeks ago). My recovery seemed to be stellar, until about 3 weeks ago when my nose started to feel congested and difficult to breathe through. I realize now that the feeling is actually extremely dry nasal passages that make it feel as though I can't breathe. I'm starting to panic a bit, wondering if this is permanent (Empty Nose Syndrome) or if this is a common side effect from surgery. Any advice is welcome!

Post-op Septoplasty and turbinate reduction

+2

Dear DryNoseJen,

• I would give it more time before calling it permanent, so try not to worry too much
  • It is probably just the mucous glands inside the nose adjusting after surgery
  • Keep it moist for now with vaseline along the nostrils and some saline nasal spray
  • If you are still having issues after 3 months and want to know if your turbinates are still there, you can see any ENT specialist

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani