Extreme Tightness and Discomfort 2 Years Post Surgery?

Had facelift w/sub. lipo & bilateral upper & lower bleph.2/11/11. Experiencing extreme tightness and sensitivity to cold and dampness. Starts behind ears, down both sides of face & upper neck and reaches around to upper back of neck. I even feel tightness in head, which can lead to headache. Have tried Neurontin, Tegretol, increased the amt of Cymbalta I usually take, and nothing works. Today tried Lidocain ointment. Surgeon not helpful, & Neuro calling it Neuropathy. What could cause be

Chronic Pain 2 Years after Facelift

+2

This is very unusual, and I have not seen a case like this.  This neuropathy may need to be managed, and this may not go away.  However, I would try to determine what types of maneuvers were used during the facelift as permanent sutures can be removed.  In addition, if this is truly caused by tightness then scar release may be worth a try.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chronic pain after face lift

+2

Sorry to hear about your experience.  The cause as you already know is from nerve irritation and looks like you have tried everything possible.  A chronic pain specialist may be the best person to see at this point 

Sam Naficy, MD

Pain after Facelft

+2

Pain and a sensation of uncomfortable tightness two years after facelift is unusal and is most likely due to irritation of your nerves or actual nerve damage. If perminent supension sutures were used, you are unlikely to improve until they are removed surgically.

Dennis Hurwitz, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Healing process

+1

Hi! Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

With bilateral upper and lower blepharoplasty, the tightness and sensitivity or healing process should only last about 4-8 weeks.  I recommend that you follow up with your plastic surgeon.

I have provided a link below for additional information as well as a lot of before and after pictures.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900 for a private consultation.

Best of luck and have a great day!

Regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD