Is It Normal to Have Extreme Swelling of Pubic Mound After Liposuction of the Lower Abdomen?

I recently went through a brazilian butt lift, where my upper/lower abs, flanks and upper/lower back were lipsuctioned to get fat to transfer to my butt.... Its bin 8 days, but my pubic mound is still very swollen and it also is swollen further down as well. (extremely swollen) Is this normal? I just had the drains removed on day 7, and travelled home (8hr flight) and everything is very puffed up... ankles and everyehitng. What should i do? will this swelling go down on its own? please help!

Swelling after liposuction

+2

Immobility, and perhaps the seat belt, as well as recent surgery are all associated with swelling.  Part of finding the right surgeon includes identifying a physician with whom you can openly communicate at all times.  My patients get my office phone number, cell phone, e-mail address, and pager.  If you travelled so far to have such a procedure, I must assume you found a fantastic surgeon who has a similar open communication policy, and is available to you instantly.  He or she is best qualified to answer your question because he/she knows your specific situation, so you should call and ask.

Swelling After Liposuction.

+2

It would be in your best interest to see or communicate with your surgeon for  specific advice.

Having said that significant pubic and genitalia swelling is quite common after liposuction of the abdomen etc. This may have been exacerbated by the long flight ( dependent swelling). The swelling will resolve  within the next few weeks.

Again,  my response above is generally speaking- it would be best for you to communicate your questions and concerns with the operating plastic surgeon.

Swelling after liposuction and buttock augmentation in Los Angeles

+1

It is very common to have swelling of the pubic mons area after liposuction of the abdomen. In fact, this swelling often gets worse at about 3-4 weeks after surgery as the swelling from the upper abdomen sinks down to the pubic area. fortunately this resolves by about 8 weeks.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Swelling after liposuction

+1

Swelling is quite common after liposuction.  Being that you are many hours from your doctor is a problem. If you are concerned you should speak with your doctor or see someone to be evaluated.

+1

Swelling casn be a very normal event but as for flying for 8 hours. Humm see your surgeon to discuss, just to be safe. 

Normal for pubic area to swell after liposuction of abdomen

+1

Yes, swelling of pubis and genitalia is expected after liposuction of the abdomen. So, don't worry-give it time and it will resolve on its own. Elevating your feet periodically throughout the day will help alleviate swelling in your lower extremeties. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

The pubic area and genitalia are the most dependent (i.e., the lowest) areas on your trunk, and the swelling fluid tends to drop into this zone. Swelling can be marked for some days, and this area can remain full and firm for a few months.

With all respect, you are an example of why patients should think long and hard before travelling far from home for surgery. Firstly, you took a substantial risk with your health spending 8 hours on an airplane shortly after surgery. There are risks of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolus from the prolonged immobility. A pulmonary embolus can be fatal.

Moreover, now you are trying to have your questions answered on the internet, instead of being able to drop by your surgeon's office for an examination and reassurance.

We all understand that patients can save a few dollars by going abroad, but this can turn out to be false economy.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Long distance surgery and mons pubis swelling

+1

Your swelling of the mons pubis is very common, particularly after the extensive amount of surgery that you underwent. This may very well have been compounded by your 8 hour flight which was a risky venture so soon after surgery - given the elevated risk for blood clots.

You need to stay in touch with your surgeon who performed the surgery. Hopefully, this won't be too difficult of a problem or an issue you will have to deal with.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Pubic Mound Swelling After Liposuction

+1

You have had major surgery with a tremendous amount of internal tissue trauma. Having generalized lower extremity edema is common after these procedures and it will take up to three weeks after surgery to completely resolve. It is to be expected that your pubic area will gather much swelling and bruising after abdominal liposuction due to the effects of gravity and the compression garment. This will take a similar amount of time to resolve, if not longer. These are completely normal events after this surgery and you should have been appropriately counseled beforehand of these very typical temporary sequelae.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Swelling after Liposuction

+1

It is not at all uncommon to have swelling of the pubic area and genitalia after lower abdominal liposuction, as a matter of fact it is expected. The fact that you were also on a 8 hour plane flight following surgery will make this problem worse. Elevation and ice will help with normal postoperative swelling. However you should communicate with your surgeon as there is always a remote possibility of blood clots in the calves, which can be a severe complication. The swelling in the genital area can last for several weeks and it is worse with sitting and will resolve on its own with time. Good luck

Johan E. Brahme, MD