Extreme Swelling a Month After Rhinoplasty?

I had Septoplasty (deviated septum) and Rhinoplasty. But a month after surgery, I'm extremely swollen, asymmetrical, right nostril looks very small compared to left.

What so you think? Is this level of swelling normal and will it subside enough to look at least as good as how I was originally? Or is this how it will more or less look?

Extreme Swelling

+1

The operative word is "extreme". Your swelling may not be extreme, but normal. It may feel more swollen than it actually is because your nunbness has not resolved; remember how big your mouth feels when you leave the dentist's office.

Swelling will improve. Discuss this with your surgeon.

You cannot judge your final result only one month after Rhinoplasty.

+1

You should certainly bring your concerns to the attention of your surgeon, and see what he says. There is still significant swelling after a month, so sit tight for now, and get some reassurance from your surgeon.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

It will improve.

+1

It is too soon to say how much of what you see is swelling. You need to wait at least 6 months before deciding whether or not you will need further surgery. Return to your surgeon and he should be able to reassure you.

Should be examined

+1

Hi,

I just answered a very similar question for another post-op patient and here is my reply to you as well:

I am not sure if your doctor told you that you have internal swelling or you are "feeling" the swelling. Regardless, a rhinoplasty will cause external and internal swelling post op. If the septum was operated on then the internal swelling will be much more. The nose internally and externally will go through changes in the first few months which sometimes cause temporary (or permanent) distortions. More commonly these distortions are caused by asymmetric surgical technique. See your doctor if you have questions and to make sure you do not have any fluid collections or infection if you are seeing any significant swelling along with pain or tenderness, etc

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon