Can an Extreme Overbite Be Corrected Quickly with a Cosmetic Smile Makeover?

How often do people come in for a fix to their overbite problem, hoping that a smile maker will be quick and easy solution, but end up with will a full mouth reconstruction to realign the jaw instead?

Smile Makeover vs. Jaw Surgery

+1

An overbite is a skeletal issue that treated properly should be corrected as a team approach by a board certified Orthodontist and a board certified Maxillofacial Surgeon who has lots of experience doing this type of surgery. There are many dentists who call themselves "Cosmetic Dentists" but there is no speciality in dentistry like this and no training programs but many would attempt to camouflage the skeletal deformity by full mouth reconstruction. In the end it is simpler and better to treat the actual problem, not create new ones!

Baltimore Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Extreme overbite quick correction with cosmetic smile makeover

+1

Extreme overbite is not usually able to be corrected by a cosmetic smile makeover.  Many of these problems  are underlying skeletal structural issues but you should talk to an orthodontist and see what he can advise you.  I have been able to to correct "overbites" which we orthodontists refer to as "protrusions" of up to 15 mm without jaw surgery by using upper bicuspid extractions and temporary anchorage devices (T.A.D.s also called mini implants).  These are fairly new mostly in the last 5 to 7 years and have expanded our ability to avoid jaw surgery in some severe "overbite" cases.  This would not work if the protrusion was caused by a deficient lower jaw.  The most important aspect of your treatment sounds like the overall plan for what the facial appearance and profile is going to look like when the treatment is finished.  That has to be planned first and then decide where to move the teeth and/or jaws to get the profile and facial appearance that you want.  Ask your orthodontist to show you records and photographs of similar cases that he personally has treated and what procedures were used to do the treatment.   Most orthodontists take very good photographs before and after treatment and detailed x-ray records so he should have some available. (see examples below)   It also sounds like your case is difficult enough that he will have a very clear memory of any similar cases that he has treated.  If they can't show you similar cases you might want to keep looking until you find an orthodontist who can show you someone with your type problem nicely corrected to a result that you would be happy with.  If your question referred to a full mouth reconstruction using crowns I would recommend getting some more opinions on that  from both cosmetic dentists and orthodontists.  Always ask to see similar treated cases and make sure you like them.

Clark L. Jones, DDS, MSD
Phoenix Orthodontist

Smile Makeovers With Extreme Overbite

+1

Completing smile makeovers quickly on a patient with a severe overbite is usually not going to happen without having a compromised result.  With severe overbites the treatment usually consist of 1-2 phases of orthodontics and potentially even jaw surgery.  Surgery is needed when the overbite is caused by a deficient mandible (lower jaw) or a rather large maxilla (upper jaw).  It would only be recommended if it were the only choice to give you the desired result. Porcelain veneers are wonderful restorations that are used to treat many dental problems, but not severe overbites.   Once you have gone through treatment to correct the overbite, then you would be a great candidate for the smile makeover that you are hoping for.  Good luck.

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Extreme overbite and a Cosmetic Smile Makeover

+1

I think the answer to this question is what is your definition of a Cosmetic Smile Makeover??  And what is your definition of quickly?? It is of my opinion that if you include surgery or orthodontics in your definition of Cosmetic Smile Makeover, then the answer is "Yes". Many times an extreme overbite is a skeletal issue. It could either be an overdeveloped Maxilla (upper Jaw), or an underdeveloped mandible (lower jaw), or even a combination of both.  If you are saying that a Cosmetic Smile Makeover is just recontouring, veneering, and or bonding then my answer is "No!"

James Merrett, DDS
Maui Cosmetic Dentist