Extreme Edema and Lower Lid Swelling Post Blepharoplasty?

I am only a little more than a week out from surgery and think the limited bruising is a small gift on my upper lids. However, the lowers are different issue. Not bruising, but the swelling is pretty extreme & the bulge is massive. At post op visit, my Dr told me my fat pads weren't as fat as thought & while he trimmed, he said I was "unusual" to have as much edema in my lower lids to begin with. What's that about? And secondly - if you have blurry vision, how long does this typically last?

Lower Eyelid Surgery Swelling at One Week

+2

Lower eyelid surgery swelling may persist for months.  If you had some underlying edema, which some people do have, the results may take longer to realize. 

Lower eyelid swelling is always more pronounced than upper eyelid swelling

+2

Lower eyelid swelling is always more pronounced than upper eyelid swelling due to the effects of gravity.

In addition, in some patients lymphatic drainage is suboptimal, and eyelid, and cheek edema [festoons] may be a problem even without having surgery.

In these patients the postoperative swelling may take significantly longer to resolve.

At this point, patience is going to be your best friend. Try to avoid looking in the mirror every few minutes. This will only maximize your stresss and worry.

At three months post operatively, you can have a more objective evaluation of swelling and postop results.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling Normal

+2

Swelling of the lower lids one week after upper and lower blepharoplasty is normal.  Some of the upper eyelid swelling does track down through the tissues to the lower lids and cheeks due to gravity.   The blurred vision immediately after eyelid surgery is also normal.  Eyelid swelling affects the tension on the eyelids causing blurred vision. This usually improves within a couple of weeks after surgery as the swelling resolves. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

One week after blepharoplasty

+1

Swelling one week after blepharoplasty isnormal. It should get better with time but you have to be patient.