Extreme Dry Eye 1 1/2 Years After Eyelid Surgery Even with Tear Duct Plugs, Is This Normal?

Eyelid malposition?

+2

It may be that you have underlying dry eyes, and that the change in your eyelid function [abnormal blink] or eyelid position [in ability to close the eye fully] may have lead to your current situation.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Extremely Dry Eye after Blepharoplasty is not Normal

+2

I am sorry your are experiencing dry eyes after your blepharoplasty.  Patients that have dry eyes before a blepharoplasty are a risk to developing drier eyes after surgery.  If a patient has dry eyes before a blepharoplasty, I send them for special tests to ensure they are able to make enough tears.  If they can make enough tears then they are not a candidate for surgery.  

In your situation, it is hard to tell you what is going on without a picture.  If the surgery changed the position of your lower lid to a point to where it is not in good contact with your eye, it can cause your symptoms.  There are a variety of other causes that can cause your issue, and you need to see a qualified eye specialist to ensure you eye is in good health.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dry Eye After Blepharoplasty

+1

Sometimes eyelid surgery can cause dry eye by changing the positioin of the eyelid on the eye.  I recommend you see an oculoplastic surgeon (eyelid specialist).  You can find one at the website ASOPRS(dot)org.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon