Extreme Discomfort After Rhinoplasty?

Hi, Im a 19 year old male who underwent rhinoplasty and I'm in big discomfort. I hate complaining and acting helpless, but I cant sleep at all and its very hard to breathe through my mouth. I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia and bit my lips hard among other things. They are so swollen I have so much trouble drinking water and eating. What can I do to relieve the pressure inside my nose so I can get some rest :(. Please tell me this pressure inside goes away.

Extreme discomfort following rhinoplasty surgery

+1

The discomfort following rhinoplasty is generally minimal and can be easily controlled with pain medication.  Typical side effects of rhinoplasty may include the following:

1) Mild pain
2) Congestion
3) Blood tinged discharge for 48-72 hours following surgery
4) Swelling
5) Numbness

The congestion can be helped with nasal sprays or irrigations.  I would use petroleum jelly for your lips and an over the counter spray or throat lozenges for your sore throat.  If your pain is severe, I would recommend a visit to your surgeon right away to rule out the possibility of any complications that may have occurred.  Thanks and I hope this helps!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Major Discomfort After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Alex,

Although I do not know how far are you into your recovery period, but the congestion that you feel inside your nose will go away.

Therefore, I encourage you to see your surgeon so he/she can make sure that you do not have old blood blocking your nasal passageways.

If this is the case, then clearing them is not of a complex procedure so you can feel relieved quickly.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Extream pain after nose job

+1

Its not at all common to be in such pain after nose job.I quite agree with Dr.Thomas Buonassisi, MD with the possibility of Septal haematoma to be the cause for such pain and nasal block.I am sure your surgeon can resolve the issue.Wishing you all the best

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Rhinoplasty

+1

Its actually uncommon to have significant discomfort after Rhinoplasty. You should see your surgeon to rule out the possibility of a septal hematoma. This can be easily treated if that's the case. Your not complaining, your in pain . See your doctor.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post rhinoplasty discomfort passes

+1

I don't know how long it's been since your surgery, but I suspect it was relatively recent, since your mouth and lips are still swollen. First of all, you should be seen by your surgeon to be sure you don't have a collection of blood in your nasal passageway that may need to be relieved. Once all the immediate postoperative swelling resolves, you should be quite comfortable.

Verne Weisberg, MD