Extreme Breast Sensitivity Months After Breast Augmentation?

I had breast augmentation 6 mnths ago and my right breast is fine but my the skin on my left breast feels sore when clothing rubs it and feels extremely sensitive - can you help?

Sensitivity after breast implants is temporary.

+1

Hi.

Sometimes, while doing surgery to put in breast implants, nerves are bruised or stretched. These nerves slowly recover, but in the mean time, you can have numbness, pins and needles, or too much sensitivity. It shold go away in another few months.

Sensitive breasts

+1

Some patients after surgery develop hypersensitivity in their nipples. This can last months and usualy improves by about one year.  You may want to put soft padding in your bra to avoid the "rubbing" feeling.

Treatment of hypersensitivity following breast augmentation or enlargement with implants

+1

Stretching and subsequent recovery of nerves can make them hypersensitive to stimulation. When this happens in the hands, we often refer patients to occupational therapists to perform desensitization therapy. Essentially this involves a graded approach to increasingly noxious stimuli. You can do this on your own by increasingly massaging the sensitive area. Always discuss your plan with your surgeon.

Breast Sensitivity After Breast Augmentation

+1

Thanks for your question -

Nerves that supply sensation to the skin and nipple can be injured during dissection to create the pocket where the implant sites or can be stretched by the implant. Either way the result can be increased or decreased sensitivity.

In your case massage or physical therapy can be useful to retrain your nerves and speed your recovery.

Steven H. Williams, MD