Extra Skin Above Belly Button?

I had a tummy tuck 5 weeks ago and wanted a full tuck but the doctor did a mini.. Anyway, I still have scar and skin above my belly button. I am thrilled with the scar tissue and recover etc but I am really not happy about the belly button area. The surgeon says there is nothing that can be done but I wondered if there actually was?

Excess skin above belly button after a mini-tuck

+1

is quite common but it really depends on whether your belly button was released and pulled down or transposed or whether it was simply pulled down, remaining attached to your abdominal wall.  Regardless, if it remains a major issue, you do have options ranging from a reverse tummy tuck (scars under your breasts) to a re-do tummy tuck.  If the problem isn't excessive and your skin quality is good, perhaps liposuction could be considered but whatever plan is suggested will require a physical exam.  So the answer is things can always be done but it will cost more too.

MiniTummy Tuck Converted to a Full Tummy Tuck

+1

I perform very few minitummy tucks as very few women qualify.  In addition, I can usually remove about three times as much skin with a short scar tummy tuck, which has the same length scar as a minitummy tuck.  These minitummy tucks can usually be converted to full tummy tucks, but you would have to be examined.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Extra Skin Above Belly Button #tummytuck

+1

I think that few patients qualify for a mini tummy tuck. I limit this operation to the patient who has only loose skin below the belly button but who has a perfect abdomen above the belly button. Most patients shy away from having the larger scar, and the result of not relocating the belly button and lifting all of the abdominal skin is the residual skin above the belly button that you describe. I would need to see your pictures so you should post them if you want the best opinion from us, but if you have extra skin above the belly button that hangs down over the belly button the only thing I know to do for that is a full tummy tuck. This allows for the belly button to be relocated and the excess skin above the belly button to be pulled tight. There is no procedure that I am aware of that can tighten up that skin above the belly button. Again, not having pictures really limits my ability to give you the best advice.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Loose upper abdomen after mini tummy tuck

+1

A mini tummy tuck usually has no effect on the upper abdomen because the belly button is not moved. Its not clear why you had a procedure that you didnt want. If you had a disagreement on the treatment plan with your surgeon, perhaps it would have been best to get a second opinion. Hopefully your surgeon explained what the mini would accomplish and what it wouldnt accomplish. At this point, the only thing that may work is a full tummy tuck. Without photos, its impossible to give you advice specific to your case. Best of luck.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Extra Skin Above Belly Button?

+1

This really cannot be answered without photos. Pre-ops would be helpful, but current photos essential to comment on the possibilities for improvement. 

Please consider reposting your question with those pictures. All the best.