Extra Skin Around Belly Button After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm 5'6" and have been 130 pds except when pregnant. I had a tummy tuck about 4 weeks ago. When I sit in a chair (up straight), I have extra skin around the belly button. Is this a normal amount of skin that should be seen when sitting in a chair? My doctor and I discussed the full tummy tuck, but I don't have a new belly button hole-yet he said he sewed me up from ribs to pubic bone. Is there too much skin? I was expecting a much tighter stomach than this? My belly button also looks strange.

Choising a tehcnique in abdominoplasty surgery

+1

Since you do not have an incision around the umbilicus it appears that you had an umbilical float procedure.  This is done for women who have a minimal excess of skin from the bottom of the ribs to the umbilicus.  It would not be expected to yield much in the way of thoroughly tightening the upper abdominal skin.  Your plastic surgeon has many techniques available to him and it is up to him to match the technique to the problem.  He is in the best position to tell you why this particular technique was chosen. 

Extra Skin Around Belly Button After Tummy Tuck

+1

4 Weeks is too early to judge your results. 

When there is no incision around the navel, there are two possibilities I can think of.

• you had a mini-tummy tuck
  • you had a full TT with umbilical float technique

Since your surgeon tightened your abdominal wall from sternum to pubis, I suspect the latter, but do ask your surgeon who knows for sure.

That technique is sometimes used to avoid an incision around the navel, and for patients who don't have quite enough excess skin and the alternative is having a vertical incision to close the circle of skin that was around the navel.

When you are sitting, the pelvis and ribs get closer together, and the skin will buckle. This is normal. You will seldom or never see a swimsuit model sitting in a modelling photo. If your skin were tight in the sitting position, you would not be able to stand straight. 

The swelling after a tummy tuck not infrequently distorts the appearance of the navel, but  after that resolves, your should expect a better than average post-op navel since there will not be a scar around it.

Patience.

Thanks for the question, and for the photos. Best wishes.