Extra skin after tummy tuck?

I had a tummy tuck 18mo ago went today for my check up and the DR tells me, oh you might want to consider getting rid of this extra skin in your abdomen area. Well I told him I had already asked him that at my 1 year check up and he told me it was left for moving around. So what i am to think here? I want honest answers here so i know what to think here if i should do it, live with it or get a second opinion.

Time changes everything as no results are static

+1

but if you had this extra skin immediately after your procedure, you need to investigate if your surgeon provides revisions at reduced costs. If so, go for it as it can improve your results. If not, I would suggest finding a surgeon who is more considerate of their patient's need and concerns and can appreciate the financial hardships patients undertake to have their procedures. Most surgeons want the best results for their patients and should be motivated to help you achieve that, assuming the requests are reasonable and changes can be achieved.

Extra Skin

+1

Dear Lala79,

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry that you are not happy with your tummy tuck. Hopefully, your Plastic Surgeon is a reputable, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

You should have no swelling left, and you should be well healed at 18 months post op. If you are unhappy definitely call your Plastic Surgeon to discuss you options.

Best Wishes.

Christine Rodgers, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Still some extra skin

+1

First off, it should be noted that a board certified plastic surgeon would be the best person to perform a tummy tuck and remove excess skin.

Your surgery is well healed at 18 months postoperatively and is not likely to change from a healing/swelling standpoint.

It is unclear why extra skin was left to move around after the procedure. Occasionally small touchups need to be performed to correct some trace excess skin - may want to discuss this with your surgeon as well. If you are being told you need a complete redo of the tummy tuck, it may be time to get a second opinion..

James Bruno, DMD, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Extra skin

+1

It is possible that during the first operation, your surgeon took out too little skin to avoid pulling the skin too tight and causing thick scars or wound healing problems. He may have been telling you to wait the 18 months because it does take time for things to settle down as the inflammation resolves.

If you still have loose skin and are unhappy with the result, I think you should go back to your surgeon and have a revision. There should be no charge associated with it since the first operation was not completely satisfactory to you.

Beth Collins, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Extra skin after tummy tuck?

+1

Some patients are not as tight at 18 months as they were early on after surgery. However, I for one am a bit baffled by the explanation you received regarding leaving excess tissue to move around.

Without a photo I would hesitate to comment further, other than to suggest a second opinion if you are not satisfied with the outcome.

All the best.