Extra Costs to Maintain Porcelain Veneers?

To maintain porcelain veneers, will there be additional cleaning or exam costs? If there is a crack or problem, what is the cost for maintaining or fixing them?

Veneer Upkeep

+3

Every office will probably have its own protocol for veneer maintenance.  In my office we have a limited warranty that lasts five years and is dependent on the patient keeping all scheduled maintenance appointments.  If a veneer breaks or cracks within that time frame it is replaced according to the warranty.  Offices that are up to date with techniques and materials will also use specific cleaning agents that are less abrasive on porcelain to help with longevity.

Omaha Cosmetic Dentist

Costs are the same as natural teeth!

+2

The cost to maintain your veneers is the same as natural teeth. Most of the patients in my office are seen 4 times per year by my hygienist for routine maintenance. If a veneer were to break it would need replacement just as a porcelain inlay, or crown. In my office I stand behind all my work for at least 3 years as long as a patient is in for regular hygiene maintenance. Meaning I will replace it at no cost regardless of why it broke.

Joseph W. Worthington, DDS
Fairfield Cosmetic Dentist

The cost to maintain porcelain veneers is "experience"

+2

Many dentists are not up to date with materials, techniques and other modern practice.  The fee to maintain is usually NOT in addition to normal routine maintenance, but the offices with experience may be higher in fee than the managed care clinics.  Expectations should be low in an office that does cleanings for $19.

The dental office that placed the veneers likely knows how to maintain them, so they should be the first consideration.  We often have patients come to us simply for the veneers and return to their "regular" dentist for future recare.  Sometimes the "regular" office is inexperienced and damage the veneers.

Porcelain veneers are like porcelain crowns, so if they are damaged, they must be replaced.  Minor chips may be polished or repaired, but veneers are very strong (if done properly) and don't get damaged easily.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers

+2

There is no extra cost to have a hygienest work on your teeth when they have veneers on. With proper care everything is treat it wuth the same quality of work!

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Maintaining veneers

+2

No addtional costs. Small cracks can often be repaired with a product called Interface. Large cracks need replacement of the veneer.

Mitchell A. Josephs, DDS
Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

No additional cost for maintaining veneers

+2

There is no additional cost to maintain veneers.  The fee for routine exams and cleanings will be the same with or without veneers.  If there is a crack or fracture, the veneer may need to be replaced; the cost for this varies among practices.  Keep in mind that brushing and flossing play a very important role in the success of veneers.  Don't bite into hard foods with your veneers and get a nightguard if you grind or clench your teeth.  Best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist