Is External Lipo Safe to Use Under Armpits, I.e. Near Lymph Nodes?

External liposuction has worked for me in the past and I was wondering if there is any danger to using it around the armpit area, or near lymph nodes. Considering that it damages fat cells through high energy penetration, could it mildly damage lymph nodes as well? I would like to get tighten slight arm pit sag but do not want to take even the slightest risk.

+2

Thank you for your question. If you are adverse to high or even moderate risk, then I would avoid lymph, and any area of concern. The safest thing to do is nothing and in some cases, that is the best decision. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Consider Smartlipo for Underarm Contouring

+1

Skin in the armpit area is thinner than other parts of the body, so a treatment that directly stimulates collagen and reduces underlying fat is ideal.  External body contouring devices such as liposonix and vaser shape safely reduce the fat density in treated areas, however they have not been proven to tighten skin.  I recommend a personalized consultation as a next step in order to assess your skin tone and fat index.

In the underarm area I often use the Smartlipo method because this offers direct collagen stimulation and fat elimination, with an added benefit of reducing excess sweat production.

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction or external ultrasond for arm pits.

+1

I am glad to hear that external ultrasonic has been helpful for you in the diffetent part of your body. As you are aware a cluster of fatty tissue are wrapped around the lymph nodes in your arm pits. These clusters of fatty tissue are different from a thin layer of fat underneath of your skin. I am not aware of any spublished study about the negative effect of ultrasonic energy on the axillary lymph nodes. On the contrary it migth improve the lymphatic flow and reduce the swelling and accelrate the healing process.However, do not count on skin shrinkage in this area. Sometimes excision of the excess skin may be the only solution.   

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon