To What Extent Can Micro Laser Peel Correct the Sun Damage "Mask" (Melasma) on my Face? (photo)

I'm 36 years old Hispanic,I have dark spot in my cheeks & forehead due to sun damage/hormonal imbalance (malesma). I've tried microdermoabration for a year combining w/5 photofacials and that helped to make it look better but I could never get rid of the dark spots. Now I'm trying sublative rejuvenation (Ematrix) I've already done 4 sessions and my skin looks better but dark spot are still there. I'm tired of spending money and time, is micro laser peel the answer to my problems?

Melasma does not always respond to photofacials

+1
Melasma is different than regular brown spots- it is hormone-driven (which is why it commonly appears during pregnancy), and can actually be made worse with the BBL or IPL treatments that are used in photofacials.  A microlaser peel is very superficial, whereas the pigment in melasma is deeper down in the dermis of the skin.  I usually recommend a series of profractional treatments for melasma or birth marks- the profractional has similar healing time compared to a micro laser peel, but reaches down to break up the deeper skin pigment.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

YAG Laser better treatment for Melasma

+1
Micro Laser Peel is an ablative epidermal treatment, where Melasma is a dermal skin condition. Look into ND Yag Laser (1064 nm), it would be more effective treatment, in conjunction with homecare products.

Mansour Bendago, FRCSC

Microlaser Peel for Melasma

+1

It appears from your photograph that you still have a fair amount of facial hyperpigmentation/dyschromias related to sun exposure as well as underlying melasma.  I think you would benefit significantly from a series of moderate depth laser peels, 20 - 30 microns, with inclusion of deeper (400 micron) fractionated treatment without additional heat in the area of your melasma.  You certainly need to be on a good skin care regimen as well with the inclusion of a topical bleaching agent.  In my office we typically custom compound one of our skin care products that contains kojic acid to include variable amounts of Arbutase  (precurser to hydroquinone) and retinol to optimize resolution of melasma.

Best Regards,
Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Bigger procedures will give you bigger results.  We offer the DOT Co2 Laser for facial laser resurfacing.  The heat and depth can be well controlled during the procedure.  Afterwards a good skin lightening product should be recommended.  We use Hydro-Q.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS