To What Extent Can Laser Therapy Improve the Scar's Appearance?

i'm a 28/m & i got a traumatic,almost vertical scar running from my hair line in front to the near upper margin of my eyebrow, its like maybe 6cm,is 5 yrs old. i have done surgical revision twice in between but its still a litte red. its raised a bit in the upper area so i'm planning to go for a laser therapy. last revision done almost 2 yr back

Lasers for scar treatment, scar revision, and scar improvement

+1

Lasers can improve redness and resurface uneven or shiny textural problems with scars.  I use many different types of lasers in my practice to improve scars. 

Surgical Scar Revision Will Be More Effective

+1

Vertical forehead scars typically heal very well. As mentioned by Dr. Aldea, the paramedian forehead flap (a technique employed frequently in my practice for complex nasal defects) requires a vertical forehead incision and heals very well in a predictable fashion.  I would expect that a revision procedure by an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon would provide a much better result than any laser. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

The use of "Laser" on a 2 year old, revised forehead Scar

+1

Regarding:  "i'm a 28/m & i got a traumatic,almost vertical scar running from my hair line in front to the near upper margin of my eyebrow, its like maybe 6cm,is 5 yrs old. i have done surgical revision twice in between but its still a litte red. its raised a bit in the upper area so i'm planning to go for a laser therapy. last revision done almost 2 yr back"

The Chinese Plastic surgeons I have met have been outstanding. I therefore feel awkward commenting on your results in a land full of fantastic Plastic surgeons.

As a rule, vertical Forehead incisions result in great, narrow scars in MOST people UNLESS there are other factors present such as smoking, autoimmune disease or questionable surgical technique. The over 2,600  year old work horse for nose reconstruction, the Forehead flap described by the Indian surgeon Susruta in 600 BC, uses a nearly vertical incision to use forehead flesh in re-building noses with acceptable scarring.

I can only speculate why your revisions were not a success:
- not done by a Plastic surgeon
- the scar was not removed sharply WITHOUT trauma to the skin edges
- the skin edges were not properly undermined to reduce tension on the closure (and subsequent scar widening)
- stitches were not removed properly

In my experience, SOME lasers will decrease the redness (vascularity) of a scar. Others will sand down raised scars somewhat. But NO laser will narrow a wide scar much less erase it.

You may want to reconsider your laser plans.

Dr. Peter Aldea