To What Extent Can a Breast Asymmetry Be Evaluated As Normal?

My right breast is about a third or 150 ml smaller that the left one. The shape seems to be the same and the bigger one has a bigger basis and a bigger areola. Whereas I was ashamed of this fact in my earlier years I'm now feeling ashamed of my wish for a change. I know that a slight asymmetry is normal but is my difference still normal? I would like to have a reduction on the bigger side. Is the difference of about 150 ml big enough to expect a reasonable result?

Asymmetry is the rule rather than the exception

+2

Great question. You correctly pointed out that most women have some asymmetry in breast size and shape. With your questions you have identified two important issues in any woman's decision to have a breast procedure.

First, do you have reasonable goals? The answer to this question depends on the amount of asymmetry, how much it bothers you and if it is possible for a plastic surgeon to improve it. 150 mL of volume asymmetry would be obvious when you are nude. It would also present a significant challenge with clothing- bras would not fill out evenly and the asymmetry may be visible in clothing without some camouflaging. It is very reasonable to want to improve this. Further, it is realistic for a plastic surgeon to be able to improve this amount of asymmetry in most women.

Second, how do you approach feeling guilty about wanting to change something about yourself? Many of my patients share similar feelings with me. Only you can determine what is right for you, but in my experience, people find that improving symmetry through a procedure has a positive impact. Many patients who have previously been preoccupied with a feature that they do not like find that they move forward without worrying about it anymore. This can be liberating and allow them to be more productive and confident.

In summary, whether or not shape and volume asymmetry can and should be addressed with a procedure is very individualized. You would find it very helpful to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to get individualized help. I wish you the best!

Michael Vennemeyer, MD

Southlake Plastic Surgeon

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift best alternative to achieve symmetry with least scar

+1

The goal of breast surgery is to produce beautiful breasts.  Beauty is determined by several factors including symmetry, skin tone, position of breast on the chest wall, position of areola, cleavage and volume.  Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs but from your statement I can conclude that your left breast is approximately 450 cc's and your right breast is about 300 cc's.  You prefer to reduce the larger breast and this can be done through a circumareola approach.  Using this approach it is possible to resect the skin excess after you remove the breast tissue.  This is essential to maintain tight skin envelope.  The best way to achieve symmetry is to do both breast simultaneously.  I recommend a circumareola approach for both breasts to get the areolas to the identical size, reposition the breast tissue higher and increase cleavage and upper pole fullness.  There is a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift, which can be done combined with liposuction, if needed, to reduce the sieze of your left breast.  This technique will leave the minimal scar, achieve the best symmetry, correct the uneven areolas and give you the result that you desire.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Only You Can Determine What's Normal

+1

Firstly, I'm glad to hear that you understand asymmetry is normal. Nobody has perfectly symmetrical breasts! However, it is unfortunate that you feel shame because you now want to resolve the issue. If you feel that this issue needs to be fixed, then there is no reason to feel shame. It is your body, after all, and it is your choice.

The difference in the size of your breasts can be easily remedied with breast reduction of the larger breast, as you stated is your preference. Another option is to augment the smaller breast with a breast implant.  A breast lift may also be recommended if you want them more "even". You can certainly expect a more than reasonable result.

I cannot tell you whether your asymmetry is "normal", because there is no "normal" rate of asymmetry. In my professional experience, I have seen asymmetry related to both size and shape varying from minor to severe. 150mL is a moderate amount of asymmetry.  To be honest, only you can determine what's "normal" and whether you'd like to do something about it.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast Asymmetry

+1

If you indeed have that big of a difference then sure you can reduce one side or put a bigger implant on the other side. Without us seeing pictures you handicap us. I can't really give an opinion other than yes 150 is a big enough difference to make a visible difference. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Braest asymmetry correction

+1

One breast that is 150cc larger with a larger areola can certainly be lifted in order to match the other side.  This is called a breast lift or mastopexy.  You should consult with board-certified plastic surgeons to find out what particular surgeries would work best for you.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

BREAST ASYMMETRY

+1

Hi Filumena,

The breast asymmentry you described can be corrected fairly easily.  You have many options available.  I would need photos and measurements in order to provide you with the  most reasonable choices.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

+1

All women have breasts that are asymmetric. Consider your self as part of the normal and not different. However it is the percentage of difference between the two sides that can make this more significant and noticeable. Most women have a 5-10% volume difference. Also if your breast are smaller and these  volume differences become more significant. In general 150 grams of breast depending on the density of the breast corresponds to a significant and visible change in volume and size. 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

How Much Breast Asymmetry is Normal.

+1

Thank you for your question regarding your concern about breast asymmetry. As you know, all women have some asymmetry of their breasts.  The question about whether or not your breast asymmetry is within the normal range might better be addressed - whether the difference is large enough to be of a concern to you. There are good surgical options available to you to make the breasts more symmetric than they are now.  Often a breast reduction on the side that is larger can provide an excellent result. A difference of 150 cc's should create a noticeable difference for you.  Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon or two with extensive experience in breast surgery and one you are comfortable talking to before making your decision.  Wanting to improve the appearance of the breasts, whether due to size, sagging, or asymmetry are all very common concerns, so I encourage you to speak candidly with your surgeon about your goals.  Good luck to you.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Concerns about Breast Asymmetry; Is Surgery Worth It?

+1

Thank you for the interesting question.

Yes, 150  cc is “big enough” of an  asymmetry that surgical correction should result in significant improvement of the symmetry. Furthermore, I do not think that there is any reason you should feel ashamed of your desire to improve the breast asymmetry. In other words, the degree of asymmetry that you describe seems to me to be significant and enough to bother most people when wearing clothing or when nude.

You should be aware that it is not uncommon for patients who are considering aesthetic surgery to experience emotions such as guilt, fear, selfishness… because the operation  they are considering is elective and not “medically necessary”.  Most patients are able to overcome these emotional concerns and end up quite pleased with the results of surgery and experience an improvement in their quality of life as a result.

You may benefit from in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.  Ask to see lots of examples of their work helping patient in your situation and communicate your goals clearly.