How Extensive of a Procedure Would I Need for an Overprojected Nose? (photo)

Hello, I have a pretty big nose that I have always felt uncomfortable with. I believe that it sticks out too far from my face. I've always wondered about getting a nose job but I'm concerned that I could end up with something that's worse than what I started with. I am fine with how it looks from the front, but the side view...not so much. Based on my photo below, would I be requiring extensive procedure to reduce the overall protrusion and size of my nose?

Routine rhinoplasty to reduce overall projection and size of nose

+1

In the pictures this appears to be a routine rhinoplasty and nothing extensive.  Dorsal hump removal will decrease the overall projection of the nose by removing both bone and cartilage.  The nasal tip can be de-projected by trimming the dorsal septum.

Reducing Nasal Profile

+1

If you select an experienced rhinoplasty specialist you don't have to be concerned about ending up with a result worse than you have. Don't worry about the amount of surgery but rather the experience of your surgeon. Reducing the profile is frequently done in rhinoplasty surgery.

Deprojecting the nose is common in rhinoplasty

+1

Deprojecting the nose is a common goal of rhinoplasty. The nose must be thoroughly analyzed, because this is rarely the only maneuver needed when addressing a large nose. Depending on what is needed, the surgery is generally not extensive, but requires a specific operative plan to meet your goals.

Your nose has a nice angle of rotation, a minimal dorsal hump, and is mildly overprojected. You start out with a nice nose, so it is important not to be overly aggressive with a rhinoplasty in your case.

Please visit our website to review detailed information about rhinoplasty. Thanks for your question.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

How Extensive of a Procedure Would I Need for an Overprojected Nose?

+1

If it were just an over-projected nasal tip, it would be easier however from the photo there's a dorsal hump that if left untouched would look even larger if the tip projection was reduced.  You'd need a complete Rhinoplasty to reduce the dorsal height (bones need to be broken) and the nasal tip projection reduced and slight upward roatation.   

Rhinoplasty for a projecting nose

+1

Actually the correction of an over projecting nose is not 'extensive', just that it is important to recognise the problem and address it. An experienced surgeon should be able to handle it quite well.

Rhinoplasty for the over projected nose.

+1

Rhinoplasty for the over projected nose can be done to set the nose back and still make it natural. This is not more difficult f or the experienced rhinoplasty surgeon!

Nose Size Reduction

+1

Thank you for your question.  These 2 profile pictures don't substitute for an inperson exam with a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon, but it seems that your chin appears small in the second picture.  Nose projection often appears larger with a smaller chin and often improves considerably with a chin implant in addition to possible nasal reduction techniques.  When you seen your surgeon, a full exam of proportions should help decide what is best for your goals.  Best wishes.

David C. Yao, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thanks for the photos. But your requests are so specific I would recommend ONLY in person evaluations to determine the type of refinement to your nose that is needed. Most likely a tip plasty with only cartilage grafts at the angle, plus filling of the hump area would be my non specific, non examined recommendations.