What is an Extended Tummy Tuck?

What is an extended tummy tuck? And would that be Best for me?

Candidates for Extended Tummy Tuck

+2

An abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) involves repair of the rectus muscles and removal of the majority of loose, excess tissue around the abdominal area to improve body contours. An extended tummy tuck is used to treat extensive loose skin and fatty tissue of the abdominal area, flank, and back areas. This involves a longer incision depending on the severity and complexity of the case. Based on the photo you provided, you look like a good candidate for an extended tummy tuck procedure. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest possible option for you.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Extended tummy tuck

+2

A tummy tuck incision needs to extend as far as the loose skin of the abdomen extends. If you have significant loose skin then the incision needs to go slightly further laterally (to the side) to remove the excess skin. The procedure is essentially the same as a tummy tuck; the word extended is just referring to the incision length.

If you have a lot of loose skin of your sides and lower back you may require a body lift or circumferential tummy tuck where the incision extends 360 degrees to remove the most amount of excess skin. A board certified plastic surgeon can examine you and determine what's best for you.

Dr.Bruno

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com

Defining extended tummy tuck

+1
Exactly what an extended tummy tuck means is very dependent upon the surgeon.  A tummy tuck, in general, involves tightening the six-pack muscle and cutting out as much extra skin and fat is is possible.  An extended tummy tuck is used when there is extra tissue on the lower sides as well such that not cutting it out would leave a very noticeable transition.  By extending the incisions out further more tissue can be removed. Doing so usually adds a little time and more resources and is typically priced out at a higher rate as a result.  If you are considering a tummy tuck and deciding between a standard and an extended, ask your surgeon to define the two to help you understand.  As always, before and after pictures of the two operations can be helpful in helping you understand.
Dr. Pyle
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Extended Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for you question. When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:

1. The amount of loose skin

2. The volume of fatty tissue

3. The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:

1. Upper Abdomen

2. Area around the Belly Button

3. Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck. In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button. I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK: this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen. This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision. I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.

EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK: This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area. I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY: this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.

I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com