Extended Tummy Tuck or Panniculectomy?

I have a Tummy Tuck scheduled for July but after all my searching I am thinking that I might need a Panniculectomy. What is the difference between a Panni and an Extended TT? What would be my best option?

Extended tummy tuck or panniculectomy

+3

The pannius is the hanging skin/fat component of the lower abdomen. Thus a panniculectomy is the removal of that component. A Full or extended tummy tuck is the panniculectomy + correction of the diastasis recti separation, and a flattening of the complete abdominal profile. It is a MUCH larger operation with better results but increased risks.

From MIAMI DR. B

Extended Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) VS Panniculectomy (Apron Removal)

+3

A Tummy Tuck is NOT a Panniculectomy. The operations are different, the risks are different and their results are VERY different.

A Panniculectomy involves removal of the lower tummy skin and fat overhang. Nothing else.It will NOT flatten your tummy. It is done to allow people to clean themselves better and prevent skin infections in the groin fold.  It is NOT a cosmetic operation.

An Abdominoplasty is a much longer and more extensive operation which will remove ALL the loose tummy skin, will tighten separated muscles, narrow the waist, lift a sagging Mons pubis and relocate the belly button in the process.

If you are healthy and want to look much better you would have to take the risks of a Tummy Tuck. On the other hand, if you would be satisfied with just the lower skin overhang being gone or were not in good medical health to have a Tummy Tuck - then the answer is Panniculectomy.

Panniculectomy only removes skin and fat

+2

While a Tummy tuck also involves repair of the abdominal muscles, in order to achieve a flatter, leaner look (see the gallery on this site).

They are two entirely different procedures, with different goals, outcomes, and recovery/risk profiles.

Your best bet is to have a conversation with your chosen surgeon about your options.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Panniculectomy or Extended Tummy Tuck

+1

A Panniculectomy will only address loose skin that hangs below the pubic bone. It does nothing to the tissues above this area. When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:

1. The amount of loose skin

2. The volume of fatty tissue

3. The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:

1. Upper Abdomen

2. Area around the Belly Button

3. Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck. In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button. I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK: this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen. This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision. I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.

EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK: This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area. I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY: this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.

I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD