Is an extended tummy tuck my best option?

I am a 35 year old female. height 5'7 weight is 165 lbs. I am debating on if i should get a extended tt or not. I have three children and my max weight was during my pregnancy at a whopping 210 lbs. it was a 65 lb weight gain. I have a lot of stretch marks on my front belly. One ps advised me that i needed an extended, and another ps told me that was not necessary. Im worried about the scar being too long and which option will give me the best results? Please advise.

Long Scar for Tummy Tuck

+1

The amount of excess skin you have is what determines the length of your tummy tuck incision. A pretty transition form the tummy to the hip is what separates a good tummy tuck from a great one.

My biggest mistake in the past was promising patients a smaller or shorter scar, and then falling short on the results !

A well planned incision should heal well and also be concealable in all but the smallest underwear or bikini.

Extended Tummy Tuck

+1

Your question is a common one. Essentially what you are asking is what everyone is most concerned with when they seek a tummy tuck. This is, how long is the scar?

The answer depends on an exam and the surgeons experience. Basically, the more tissue laxity and skin overhang a patient has the longer the scar needs to extend to fully correct the skin overhang. If laxity and overhang is minimimal than an extended tummy tuck is not necessary. If skin laxity and overhang is sever a circumferential tummy tuck may even be warranted.

Make sure your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this field. Good luck.

Mark A. Jabor, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Options?

+1

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who
proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and
ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you
trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that
surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you provide pictures, some insights may be offered.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck extent

+1

Great question. Without an exam or a photo it is impossible to advise you re the extent of a tummy tuck. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Extended tt or not

+1

Hi Vanessa. From your description either could be an option. I would need to see photos. I will say this, if you have lax lateral thighs and possibly hanging butt, then you should have the circumferential. If your butt is flat and you want it fuller then a LBL (similar to circumferential) can give you a fuller tighter butt a la tree eral thigh lift, monsplasty and obviously a tt as well. Good luck on your decision.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+1

The results of an extended abdominoplasty are dramatic, but whether or not you need it could only be answered after seeing what you look like now.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Scar with a tummy tuck

+1

The length of the scar associated with an abdominoplasty to give you the best result is a function of the amount of skin to be removed. The more skin the longer the scar. We are nothing but tailors in this situation getting the skin envelope to fit the underlying structure. Unfortunately we do not have seams that can be opened so the surgeon essentially creates a seam with your scar to get the skin to fit.

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Extended tummy tuck removes more skin

+1

The type of tummy tuck and the extent of the scarring will depend on what you want to accomplish. One general rule is that the more skin you remove the longer the scars. By your weight loss history it sounds like you a extended tummy tuck might be a good option. Go over your options and possible results with your plastic surgeon and then you will feel comfortable with your decision.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

An extented tummy tuck may not be necessary

+1

I agree with Dr. Gottlieb; the answer depends on your physical exam. It is not surprising that different surgeons give different opinions. We are each informed by our own experience and techniques, so this shapes the recommendations that we give. It is my experience that an extended tummy tuck is not needed very often, but it all depends on each patients physical exam.

It is best to find a surgeon that you feel comfortable with and ask to see before and after pictures of patients with a similar body type. This will give you an idea of the type of surgery and result you might expect. Best of luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon