Does an Extended Tummy Tuck and Lipo Usually Address Lower Back Fat As Well ?

Does an extended tummy tuck with lipo after major weight loss usually address lower back fat?

Extended Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

+2

Hi there-

A lot would depend on the quantity, quality, and distribution of your skin after your weight loss (congratulations!), as well as the proposed areas for liposuction...

If your weight loss has left you with a lot of excess, poor quality skin, it is likely that you will not be happy with your lower back unless a lower body lift technique is used...

On the other hand, if skin excess in the area is minor, and the majority of the problem is remaining subcutaneous fat, you may be very pleased with the outcome of the proposed operation.

Your best bet is to visit a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who has a lot of experience doing these types of procedures (ask to see photos and maybe even to speak to a few former patients). Get their opinion, digest the information, and decide what you think will make you happiest.

Extended tummy tuck and lower back fat.

+1

TYpically when performing an extendied tummy tuck, liposuction will be performed address lower back fat.

Abdominoplasty and back fat

+1

Abdominoplasty won't remove back fat.  There may be a teeny, tiny improvement in skin tone from the pull of the extended abdominoplasty.  I will often do liposuction of the back with the patient face down, and then flip them over to do the abdomen.  If there is a lot of skin laxity, a circumferential lower body lift or belt lipectomy is the way to go if your are in excellent health and a healthy weight. 

Blood suppy and healing are always issues.  If you were a smoker or diabetic, I would not do any of these procedures on you.  If you were a former smoker or former diabetic, I would do them as separate operations with about 6 weeks in between. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Fat Yes, but Lax Skin No.

+1

Extended tummy tuck surgery just takes the "tuck" operation toward the patient's sides. Adding lipo removes some fat. If the skin laxity extends around the back, this liposuction may leave some lose skin that the patient may later want tightened.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Lower Back fat is not Addressed with Extended Tummy Tuck

+1

Lower back fat would not be removed at the time of an extended tummy tuck with liposuction.  I feel that suctioning of the lower back at the time of your surgery would be a mistake since some of the collateral blood supply to your remaining abdominal tissue will be coming from this area.  Any liposuction of your lower back should be performed later as a separate procedure.

John Whitt, MD

Extended Tummy Tuck and Lipo

+1

Easy answer is NO. But you need inperson evaluation to determine exactly what you need. I think you need a circumferential tummy tuck with lipo to address these issues. 

Back Fat and Extended Tummy-Tuck

+1

It just depends on how far your surgeon feels he or she needs to go to get the best aesthetic result.  Sometimes liposuction of the back is included in the excisions and sometimes it is not.  This is something that you need to address with your surgeon.  They can give you a  very specific anmsweras to what will work best for you.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction may not help back after major weight loss.

+1

Hi.

You probably need a body lift, which is basically a tummy tuck extended all the way around the back.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Combined Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+1

In general, a tummy tuck address the hanging skin and fat of the abdomen, the loose rectus (6 pack) muscles, and possibly some excess fat on the hips.  You can certainly combine this procedure with liposuction of the lower back as well, but in most cases I think this would be considered a separate procedure.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Extended tummy tuck vs belt lipectomy

+1

There is no exact terminology here so you need to ask your surgeon exactly what they expect to be treating with an extended tummy tuck.  For most doctors this doesn't necessarily include liposuction and doesn't usually reach far around the back.  Those would generally be additional procedures.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS