I'm Having an Extended TT, Do I Need Muscle Repair with One Cm Seperation?

i am having an extended tummy tuck in about 8 weeks, i have a 1/2" separation of rectus muscle (at 3 1/2 years post pregnancy) do i need a muscle repair? Would it make a big difference to the end result if i don't get or need a repair Also wondering i have a very sway back i have read that the repair assist in correcting this, and reduces lumbar pain, will it make as much of an improvement in sway and pain if a repair isn't done/needed

Tummy tuck and muscle repair

+1

Having a tummy tuck without a muscle tightening is like buying a car without the engine.   So all joking aside, yes, I would recommend muscle tighten (plication) with your extended tummy tuck.

Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Yes, you will likely benefit from muscle tightening as part of your tummy tuck

+1

Yes, you will likely benefit from the muscle tightening at the same time as the tummy tuck.  Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and back pain

+1

When you're getting your tummy tuck, I would recommend getting the muscles tightened as well since it will help give you the best tummy tuck results possible.  However, be careful in thinking that your back pain will be helped with a tummy tuck.  In my experience, some people do, in fact, get relief from their back pain after a tummy tuck, but some people do not.  Also, insurance will not cover a tummy tuck to treat back pain.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Tummy tuck: when to repair the muscle

+1

The muscles should be repaired when it will make a significant difference in the final result and weighed against the downside of a slightly longer surgery time, more discomfort, higher risk of deep venous thrombosis(blood clots) and a longer recovery time. So if your main problem is that the muscle layer is stretched out then the muscle layer should be repaired. When the problem is excess sin and fat and there is little muscle looseness then the patient and the surgeon need to jointly determine what the muscle repair will add to the final result.

One way that you can tell is to stand sideways looking in the mirror and relax you belly muscles. If there is a significant bulging of your belly then you would benefit from the repair. If the difference is minor then you need to consider the downsides of doing a muscle repair. The 1 cm figure really doesn't have much meaning since we don't know visually what that means in your overall look.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon