I Was Explanted Due to Rupture on June 11. I Am Unable to Go Back to PS, and my Primary Care Doc Has Agreed to Remove Sutures.

I had Mentor textured saline implants, 250 cc, one ruptured and I decided to explant without replacement. I am unable to return to my explant ing PS, but Primary Care MD agreed to remove sutures. She is aware there are dissolvable sutures inside, and removable under the breast fold. She thinks 14 days is a good time period to remove sutures. The original PS has me very bandaged up, something covering sutures, gauze on top od that, and a great deal of surgical tape. Any suggestions?

When to remove sutures after explantation

+2

It is always the best to go back to your plastic surgeon for any post-op care.  Normally, stitches can be removed 1-2 weeks after explantation.  However, I don't know whether you had any other issues besides the saline implant deflation.  If there was any inflammation around the incision, I may leave the stitches longer.  At the minimum, you should call your plastic surgeon and ask him/her when it would be safe to remove the sutures.

Web reference: http://www.drkimplasticsurgery.com

Suture Removal after Breast Implant Removal

+1

I understand that sometimes it is not possible to see your plastic surgeon for suture removal but you should be able to at least call or email photos to him/her to get advice regarding the timing of the suture removal.

Each surgeon has different post op preferences and it would be best for you to allow your plastic surgeon to get you through your recovery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/breast-implant-removal.htm

Breast Suture Removal Time

+1

Different sutures and different locations means that they are removed at different times. Following explantation of breast implants without replacement, sutures are typically removed in one to two weeks. 

Suture removal after explantation

+1

Thank you for the question. I think 14 days should fine for suture removal provided the wound is healing normally. There is no doubt that you plastic surgeon is the best person to make that decision. 

Suture removal after breast implants

+1

It is best for you to contact your plastic surgeon to determine how he wants you to proceed. Every doctor does it a bit differently.  Good luck.

Sutures removal

+1

As I have explained to you previously.

Call your plastic surgeon, resolve what ever issue you have. He/ She will remoce the sutures then you can find another plastic surgeon to follow you.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.