Explantation, Nipple or Under the Breast?

Is there any difference between the two techniques for the final breast shape? Is it one setter than the other? (and why?)

Use the previous scar

+1

It is usually best to use the previous scar.   There is really no difference in the final result, and there is also no point in adding new scars to your breasts.

No difference in the shape for either technique

+1

The resulting shape doesn't differ with the technique. I feel that under the breast fold is better for a variety of reasons. There is less risk of capsular contracture, better preservation of nipple sensitivity and improved chances of breast feeding. It is best to discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon to find the best technique for you. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Removal of Breast Implants Approach?

+1

Generally, I think it is possible to remove breast implants through either approach,  preferably using the previous incision line.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person will be helpful.

Shape of breast after explantation

+1

It is difficult to determine what the shape of your breast will be after removal of you implants. It depends on if your implants are above or below the muscle, how big they are, how big your natural breast tissue is, etc. I worry about explanting through the areola if no lift procedure is being done because there can be puckering at the scar. I would discuss all of these issues with the plastic surgeon who you have chosen to perform your surgery. I wish you well.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Explantation

+1

There is a difference in the approach to explantation, through a periareolar incision or infra mammary incision.

If you are doing also a total capsulectomy with enblock removal of a silicone implant, one needs a large incision. If you have a large areola then it may be possible.

If the peri areolar incision is used the repair of the breast tissue and subcutaneous tissue has to be meticulous otherwise the nipple areola will be depressed.

+1

I have never found there to be much difference.s I usually use the preexisting scar. You need to be prepared for the appearance after the implants are removed. It normally takes several weeks before the breast shape looks OK.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD