I had my BA over a month ago. How Soon Can I Explant?

I had my BA over a month ago, and regret the implant size and profile tremendously. It was nothing huge, but still far to big for my body. I know emotions run high for many women post BA, but this is something that I am 100% certain of. I plan on having implants and a benelli lift next summer with an awesome PS who does fantastic work. Very expensive, but oh well :). My question is, how soon can I get my current PS to take these things out?! ASAP would be nice!

Implants out now!

+2

I recently had a case like yours, where sizing was painstaking, well-thought-out, and the patient was "100% sure" she had the right size. After surgery, she insisted that she absolutely needed them to be visibly smaller, and since 30cc is too small a difference to be seen, we replaced her implants with 60cc smaller ones. Fortunately, she had no complications with either of her operations, and she healed and went off to vacation . . .

. . . after which she returned and told me she regretted not taking my adivce to "live with them for a while (3-6 months)" as she now wishes she were back to the original size. This is not a made-up story, Honest!

Unfortunately, as surgeons, we are at a disadvantage to our patients who "know their bodies," tell us "it's my money," and insist they are "100%" positive they are correct in their requests. (Of course they are!)

Please consider your present line of thought carefully and perhaps consider an additional opinion or two. Dr. Rock makes good points about Benelli lifts--they often leave very visible and unsightly scars without "lifting" much at all, and the wide, purse-stringed and irregularly-scalloped periareolar scars are often quite crappy (that's a medical term most non-surgeons understand). And, they are permanent.

It's fine to be your own advocate, but remember that the "expert" surgical opinion you agreed with once before is now "wrong." Or is it you that made (or are making) the error? Please understand I'm not being critical of you or your certitude of opinion. It's just that none of us, patients included, is perfect. SO be open to good advice and go get some more! Be sure, not fast. Best wishes, truly! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

A moment of pause

+1

I agree with many of the other surgeons.  So often the change people experience is more than they expected.  Whether we are talking about breast, body or otherwise.  With time you may come to appreciate the size you are.  Furthermore, some swelling will resolve if you are within the first few months, leaving you with a smaller breast.  Finally as the tissue starts to relax and things don't feel as tight you may appreciate your current implants more.  There is no risk, no recovery and no cost in waiting for things to settle down.  I would suggest to my patients a minimum of three months for that.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Removing implants

+1

You stated that you had a breast augmentation, and now want the implants removed. However, then you stated that you plan to have a lift with implants next summer. Is there a reason why you don't want implants this year, but do next year?  You might want to discuss this with the surgeon you have selected for next year's surgery. With each surgery comes risks of scar tissue and wound healing problems. It would be safer to just plan one more surgery with the size you wish and fits your frame. If you have saline implants now, your current physician could just deflate the implants and save you surgery for now.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Wanting implants out

+1

As much anguish and torment you feel over this, I assume you had the opportunity to view yourself with sizers on that would provide the look you have.  Its not uncommon to be worried that you're too large after such surgery and if you allow yourself to adjust to them, usually there is a happy ending.  If you're truly adamant about taking them out, what would prevent you from having the same experience with that 'really good surgeon'.  And if you downsize, it should be by significant amounts and not 30-50 cc's which is barely appreciable.  Finally, Benelli lifts are great for small lifts as the scarring is unpredictable and it flattens your projection.  Will that work for you because after a lift, you cannot have second thoughts about what you did.  And it would really help your next surgeon if you could look back at your decision process and figure out why you are not happy like most patients are.

Curtis Wong, MD

Removal

+1

Hello there

Implants can be removed at any time but you may want to try to have the removal procedure at the same time as your next procedure to minimise the number of operations you need .

It is unusual to change your mind this fast . Maybe you weren't certain heading into the procedure . If you have decided on a new surgeon I suggest you have a consultation as soon as possible and try to make a definitive plan to get you to where you want to be .

I'm sure your new surgeon will have thoughts about the timing of the removal procedure so best to get a plan together as soon as you can .

All the best

Terrence Scamp

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

When to remove breast implants

+1

In general, implants can be removed at any time.  Since you seem to have selected a new plastic surgeon and have a future treatment plan, you may wish to discuss the best course of action regarding your present implants with that surgeon. 

As your planned second augmentation includes a Benelli lift, I would recommend that you think carefully and review in detail with your surgeon the complications associated with Benelli lifts:  scarring on the front of the breasts,  which always has the risk of widening  (even if done correctly), as well as the risk of flattening the front of the breasts. 

Good luck.

Craig S. Rock, MD

How Soon to Remove a Breast Implant

+1

Based on your information, you may have them removed anytime that works best for you. If you have saline implants and are planning on more surgery in the future, you can ask your surgeon to deflate them with a needle (which will bring your breasts back to their original size) and then have them removed at the next surgery. This may save you some money.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast implants can be removed immediately if the patient is dissatisfied.

+1

Provided you are convinced that you do not want the implants there is no medical reason not to take them out now.

How Soon Can I Explant After Breast Augmentation?

+1

Given that you are 100% certain that you wish to have the breast implants removed, there is no medical reason (that I am aware of in your case) that would prohibit surgery in the near future. I would suggest that you express your desires to your plastic surgeon, explaining that you are making a well thought out decision.