Explant a Complex or Simple Operation? (photo)

Is explant of breast implants a very complex of fairly simple operation? I have slight bottoming out on my one breast. I had 330cc HP placed 7 months ago. Submuscular. I will not mind the flat chest if I feel comfortable again. Is there alway adverse outcomes with explant of breast implants. My initial incision was areola. Is it best to use the same or would that make the nipple cave in. What would the effect on my muscles be? I do not whish to replace the implants or do revision.

Explantation of Breast Implants

+2

Coulditbe, in your particular circumstance the removal of your implants would be a simple operation performed through your areolar incisions. Your implants are not very big and have only been in 7 months so your natural breast tissue and skin should only be stretched minimally. It's a little hard to predict the outcome of the areolar incisions but if done carefully these incisions shouldn't be a cosmetic problem.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

+1

Breast implant removal is usually a simple procedure that can often be done under local anesthesia

Placing a drain helps keep the cavity compressed and speeds up the healing process

If the implant is ruptured ,or if the capsule is thickened it may be necessary to remove the capsule  which is a more complex procedure

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Explant

+1

the explantation is a simple operation. it is impossible to predict what the final outcome will be but the skin will shrink.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Implant removal

+1

Usually implant removal is quite easy as long as there is no significant capsule that needs to be removed.

Removal of breast implants is a straightforward process

+1

Hello

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Removal of breast implants alone is a straightforward process.  The implants can be removed by themselves or the implant and the capsule can be removed together.  Removal of the implant alone can be done in a very straightforward process even under local anesthesia.  The risk of complications and the effect on the muscle are essentially negligible.  As you may have already envisioned your breast shape will change dramatically after implant removal and there will be some contour irregularity around the nipple/areola area.

All the best

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Removal of Breast Implants Simple or Complex?

+1

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination, I think you should do very well with removal of breast implants. I make this statement based on your youth, size of breast implants used, and current breast appearance.  Often, it is possible to remove breast implants through the initial incision used;  rarely, “caving in” of the  nipple/areola complex can be seen however.

Also, generally speaking, removal of breast implants ( especially if capsulectomy is  not performed) is  a relatively straightforward procedure with minimal recovery time/discomfort.

You may find the attached link helpful to you. Best wishes.

What to expect from breast implant removal - explant

+1

The procedure of removing breast implants overall is technically not too difficult. In a patient who has capsular contracture or a broken silicone gel implant, it becomes a bit more time consuming because of the importance of removing the capsule. Every case will be different. The other issue you touched on which is very important is what will your breasts look like afterwards? Implants, depending on the implant size and your pre-existing covering tissue, stretch and you may show some concavity, at least in the beginning. If the capsule is removed, the hope is that the pocket will heal down and not have much effect on your chest muscle. I hope this helps.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Explant a Complex or Simple Operation

+1

It can be either simple or complex.

SInce it is not too large an implant, and there was a reasonable amount of native breast tissue, and they have only been in for seven months, I would keep it simple, and just take out the implants through the original incisions. If the skin doesn't shrink, a lift could be done in the future. If you do a lift now, you will have incisions you might not have needed.

Thanks for your question and for the attached photos. Best wishesl