Considering Explant of Saline Implants Without Replacement, Is this Possible Without a Lift?

I am 35 yrs old, 5'4", and 105 lbs. I had a BA 14 yrs ago with Mentor, textured, saline, under the muscle implants, 550 cc. I was the same weight then, and I was a 34 A before implants. I am now a 34 DD. My implants are definitely too large for my frame/figure. I really want to have them removed without exchanging them, but I don't want a lift. Is it possible to have them replaced with smaller implants (maybe 275 cc), without needing a lift?

Breast Implant Removal Without Lift

+1

Without a proper consultation, it’s hard to say if you could have your saline implants removed without replacement and without a lift. A 34 DD is quite a change from a 34 A, but whether or not a breast lift will be necessary after your implants are removed really depends on your skin’s elasticity. Various factors like age, weight loss and/or gain, and pregnancy can cause the skin to become loose and breasts to sag. I suggest you first seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast revision surgery to thoroughly discuss your surgical desires and medical history.

Breast implant exchange to smaller implants

+1

Moving from a 550 cc to a 275 cc implant will probably require a breast lift - it is difficult to say without photos supplied. Surgery would probably also require some internal tightening of the space around the breast implant. I would recommend you meet with a Board certified plastic surgeon to have an assessment and see what she/he recommends!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Breast Implant Removal

+1

I have a number of patients who have had implants removed and done well without a lift. They were all smaller implants than yours. You cannot answer this kind of auestion for an individual without an exam.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant removal

+1

It is so hard to predict how the body will respond to removal of impalnts.  If you have alot of native breast tissue and/or small implants, they will likely look ok as compared to the opposite.  If not , a lift may be necessary.

Lift after explantation

+1

The answer is maybe. The likelihood is increased if you are stretched out or have stretch marks, where there is a lot of looseness after removal. One way to see if there will be a lot of residual looseness is to deflate the implants in the office before surgery (a permanent situation) and to allow your tissues to shrink all they can before the explantation.  Then you will know if a lift is needed. The amount of lift or tissue removal in this case should be less than if you wait to deflate at the explantation. In the situation of going to a smaller implant, the pocket will be larger than needed for a smaller implant and the implants will flop around in them. Again, pre-operative deflation is helpful to shrink the tissues and the pocket in preparation for the procedure. The pocket might have to be adjusted by internal suturing to reduce it's size even with pre-op deflation. A lift may still be needed, depending on how loose your tissues are.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift after Removal of Implants?

+1

Whether you will benefit from breast lifting after removal of breast implants will depend on what your breasts look like after explantation. This can only be determined by examining you.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.
Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in person will be helpful.