Explant Question - Removal After 7 Months

I had 260cc nagor silicone implants 7 months ago. I'd like them removed. I regretted, realising I'd made a big mistake. I know I sound foolish having waited years to do this (I'm now 40 and wanted them when 20). After 7 months, do I need them removed using the enbloc method or capsulectomy? I have very little breast tissue (32AA before op). I will do what i have to do as don't want complications in the future. Does it make a difference that they are silicone? and only in for 7 months? thank you

Is Capsulectomy Necessary with Breast Implant Removal?

+2

In answering your second question first, no it does not matter whether the implants are silicone or saline. In addition, you don't necessarily need a full capsulectomy. What to do about the capsule depends in part on how thick the capsules are. If your breasts are very soft, chances are that the capsule is very thin and so little if any capsule work needs to be done.

Finally, you should not feel foolish about making this decision. It takes a certain self awareness to realize that what you thought you wanted for so long turned out to not be what you wanted at all.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Implant removal

+2

My favorite way to remove implants is through the infra-mammary approach because it allows me a good view of the area.  The capsule does not have to be removed, though most remove it, including myself.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Implants Can be Removed after 7 months

+2

You most certainly can have your implants removed after 7 months - or after any period of time.  There is no difference if they are silicone or saline.  The location of the scar may be different depending upon the implant size and type, however.  There is no specific need to remove the entire capsule.  In fact, if you are quite thin, leaving it in is safer for the skin.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Removing breast implants at 7 months

+2

I strongly disagree that the capsule around the implant needs to be removed. It is your choice to have the implants put in and it is your choice to have them removed. Hopefully they were put in through an incision in the inframammary crease below the breast (otherwise you will need a second scar) and they were put in properly without distorting the breast tissues. If so, at 7 months you can expect the breast to return to looking the way they looked before they were put in with a simple removal of the implants regardless of what type they were. To remove the capsule is not only a much bigger operation but offers no benefits and can cause distortion to the breast that wasn't there with the implant alone. 

In the larger view, this is why breast implants need to be put in properly using the best of years of experience and with the idea that the surgeon may need to return to the implant in the future either short term or in the long term. Changes in the breast over time can't be controlled but changes caused by placing the implant or removing the capsule can be avoiding. This is also why the incision in the crease under the breast is the best option when looking at both short term results and long term issues. 

I would also add that it is a myth that breast implants lift the breast and it is a myth that they sag because the implant is removed. They may look lifted or sagged because of the volume gain or loss but they're not truly lifting the breast or causing it to sag. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Explantation

+2

If your decision is final, then the implant and the capsule should be removed. You may have changes to the size and shape of the breast. Disuss all these potential changes with your plastic surgeon.

Explant after 7 months

+1

You can expect your breast to be deflated and smaller than when you first had your augmentation. I would not think you would need a capsulectomy. Though you may need a lift.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Breast Appearance after Breast Implant Removal

+1

How your breast will look after breast implant removal is not fully predictable.  

The primary factor is the elasticity of the breast skin envelope and how much it will contract back to the pre-operative size.  

Additionally, the scar capsule can be a factor in the shape, but after only seven months it is not likely to have calcifications or other changes that would prevent the breast scar capsule from reabsorb on its own with out need for capsulectomy.

A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will provide you with an expert opinion by a plastic surgeon who has evaluated you personally.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Breast implant removal

+1

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Occasionally, I see patients who just want the implants removed because they don't want the implants "to be a part of them" anymore.  Make sure you think about this and that this is the right thing for you.  It's difficult to say if you need a lift after removal -- no one will know exactly what your breasts will look like after the implants are removed until it is done.  Talk to a well-trained and experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and get good advice.

Removing breast implants

+1

You ask great questions, but it's hard to say without actually seeing you.  However, many implant removals can be done without removing the entire capsule as well.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Removing implants 7 months after surgery

+1

Unless there is a thick capsule, you can probably simply have them removed without overly aggressive surgery.