Explant w/ No New Implant

I have read the answers to similar questions as i have posed. However, i am disappointed w/ all of them. I have had two sets of implants not happy w/ either. I want them out all doctors want to do is reimplant saying you won't like the outcome? Is there a skilled Dr. out there willing to stake his name on a good outcome? Thanks Suss, in norwest area, i'm petite w/ submuscular placement, had a lift w/ 2nd set, a c-cup from an a, just want to look normal w/ scars of course. thanks suss

Breast implant removal without replacement. VIDEO

+4

Without pictures it is difficult to estimate the amount of sagging you will have but if you are willing to accept the appearance of a breast with diminished volume, perhaps you will be pleased with the outcome. SEE THE VIDEO below for samples of a patient's apperance of having implants removed after being in place for a long time.

Breast Implant Removal and Breast Lift Surgery

+2

It is clear that you have a tremendous amount of angst associated with your previous breast implants and/or lift, and you now wish to have some sort of guarantee on the quality of the result after your implants are removed. As you can tell from the prior answers, no surgeon can provide this gaurantee. In fact, no thoughtful,reputable surgeon would ever stake their name on a good outcome in this type of situation. Removing an implant does not require any particular surgical skill, but the surgeon has no control over what the final outcome will be like. Because you have already had a lift, one might conclude that the result would be satisfactory, or at least better than if you hadn't had a lift, but it is impossible to know. Your breasts will look deflated, and that is a "normal" appearance after implant removal. As a general rule, many patients have a difficult time adjusting after implant removal, but if they truly wish to have them removed, most successfully make that adjustment. I suspect your frustration results from your dissatisfaction with an unaesthetic breast aumention and/or lift, or that it didn't meet your expectations. I am sorry that this has been an unpleasant journey for you and likely there are no easy solutions, but I would not expect that implant removal will result in something that you consider to be a "good" outcome.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Explant with mastopexy

+2

The fact that you're not liking what you're hearing may in an of itself be the answer to your question.  Reasking the question this way may simply direct you to someone more cavalier.  Be sure your expectations are clear but it does sound like you need them removed.  Best wishes

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Breast implant removal

+1

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 
Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Occasionally, I see patients who just want the implants removed because they don't want the implants "to be a part of them" anymore.  Make sure you think about this and that this is the right thing for you.  It's difficult to say if you need a lift after removal -- no one will know exactly what your breasts will look like after the implants are removed until it is done.  Talk to a well-trained and experienced board-certified plastic surgeon and get good advice.

Removing breast implants

+1

After implant removal, you may need a lift to get an aesthetically pleasing result.  However, it's difficult to say without actually seeing you.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Removal or replace implants, stay true to you

+1

Surgeons often may fear the look of a 'natural' breast after implant removal based on complaints in the past. As you have already had a lift, if well done the nipple should stay up well and your breast will look alright, with an upper scoop of course if the implants are removed alone. If the implants are not 'you' take the leap and just have them out.

peterejohnsonmd

Remove and not replace

+1

Patient autonomy is very important and breast implants are not medically necessary.  Explanting your existing breast implant is always an option.  It is important you ask your doctor to give you some sense of what the breast will look like after and if a revision lift may be useful to preserve your aesthetics.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Breast implant removal

+1

It has been my experience that patients who want their implants out really just want them out.! I used to be very reluctant to do this but after almost 20 years in practice, I will remove implants on a patient who wants them out unless she has mental problems that first need to be addressed.  It's important for the patient to know that there is NO GUARANTEE as to how the breasts will look or if the patient "will like" them.  Most of my patients have been okay with some sag and are just happy to be implant free.  This is a weird situation for most plastic surgeons, because most of our paitients love their implants and it's a very rare patient who wants them out.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

You Can Restore Breast after Implant Removal with a Flap and not another Implant

+1

You are unhappy the results of your breast implant exchange that has been done twice.  The other options include implant removal without replacement,  with or without a breast lift, and breast reconstructive techniques.

While usually done for breast reconstruction purposes after mastectomy, or for treatment of complications of breast implants, restoration of breasts after implant removal can be accomplished by flap techniques used for breast reconstruction

These include  pedicled TRAM flap and Latissimus dorsi flaps, and micro-surgical free flap techniques including such as DIEP flap, PAP flap, and S-GAP among others.

These are delicate and complex procedures with serious potential complications that require extensive preoperative discussion.

See nybreastreconstruction.com for more information on these operations.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Breast explantation and mastopexy

+1

Mastopexy, or breast lift, is usually performed with removal of breast implants.  Depending on the amount of natural breast tissue left, a reasonable contour can be expected, although the fullness and shape cannot be accurately predicted.  The goal is perfection, although this is rarely achieved.  Improvement, if not resolution, of your body image stress is what we consider a satisfactory result.  Theses issues need to be carefully discussed before committing to surgery.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon