Explant 3 Months After Implant?

I paid $6K to find out that I don't like breasts. I had 450cc silocone Mentor unders placed in May. I dont want a lifetime of headaches w silicone and dont have enough tissue for saline. I was offered the gummys at no charge, but those come w risk too. My Surgeon is not Board Certified; therefore, is it safe to have him remove them? He wants to downsize to Sientra gummy teardrop, but I have no idea if he is capable and if I am guaranteed that they will not rotate.

Implant removal

+2

A board eligible plastic surgeon is fine if he/she is on their way to getting boarded.  It jsut usually means that they are new out of training.

If your silicone implants look good, don't have another operation.

+2

There are no systemic illnesses created by silicone gel-filled implants.  Switching to a different type would not immunize you from any inaccurately perceived problems with gel anyway.  If they look good, leave them alone.

Implant revision

+2

There is always a risk of rotation with shaped implants.  The risk is slightly higher in a revision if the capsule is not removed.  Board certification is helpful, but not a guarantee for good results.  Some properly trained plastic surgeons are "board eligible" but not yet board certified...this means they have not completed the requirements for certification yet. Check out his/her credentials.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Changing Implants

+2

Hello. Downsizing to smaller gummy implants is an option, but most people do not experience issues with silicone implants. The issues that you are experincing could be due to the fact that your surgeon is not board certified. I would recommend that you consult a board certified plastic surgeon. While your current surgeon may be cheaper, you run a higher risk of more complications in the future.

Jaime Perez, MD

Breast Implant Specialist

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Explant 3 Months After Implant?

+2

It can be done if you are certain that's what you want. Your current surgeon will probably charge you less than a new surgeon. I am not sure what you don't like about your implants--is it the size or just the presence of silicone. I don't know what you mean by a lifetime of headaches with silicone. The overwhelming majority of patients have no problem at all. 

Removal is quite simple. The judgement to know whether you might need some reduction of breast skin (breast lift or mastopexy) is not. 

A consideration would be a consult with a boarded surgeon, and then you can choose among your options.

Thanks and best wishes.