Explant After 2 Weeks?

I'm a little over 1 week post op, and I'm feeling I have made the worst mistake of my life. I am 23 years old, and was a small B before I chose to get 300cc silicone unders. I did the research and chose an amazing surgeon to do my augmentation. I miss my old breasts and realized it never mattered how they looked and natural is better. If I choose to explant I'm hoping my breasts will go back to normal. Is this a reasonable hope?

Removing implants after 2 weeks

+2

I would hope that  you did your best to think the operation through but occasionally a patient just can not adapt to their new body contour.   You had the surgery electively and the implants can be removed electively.  Talk it through with your plastic surgeon and together you will come to the correct solution. 

Explant After 2 Weeks?

+2

On the one hand, surgeons like to prevent patients from making impulsive decisions, so we often ask for a 3 or 6 month wait. On the other hand, if we are convinced that the patient has made a reasonable decision, sooner is better than later in terms of not stretching out the tissue for longer than needed. Your surgeon will be the best resource. 

All the best. 

Explant Now? - No!

+1

In the days immediately following a breast augmentation, patients under go a body image change.  Postoperative pain medications complicate this stage as they impair the ability to think clearly.  The breasts are swollen and "in the way" during activities of daily living.  At around 3-4 weeks after surgery, the reduction of swelling becomes noticeable, pain medication is discontinued, and the patient begins to incorporate her new contour into her body image.  I would encourage you to wait out this adjustment phase.  Speak with you operating surgeon for support.

Philip E. Fleming, MD

It may take a number of months to get psychologically adjusted to breast augmentation.

+1

The occasional patient will suffer buyers remorse after an augmentation. Usually after a few months they realize that they have indeed made a good choice and become satisfied with the implants. Biologically the implants can be removed at any time but I would encourage you to give yourself some time to get accustomed to them.

Removing Implants 2 Weeks After Surgery

+1

Occasionally, a patient will feel the way you do after a breast augmentation procedure, and it is usually within the first few weeks. You have altered your physique, and so there is often times an adjustment period to allow your emotions to catch up to your new body image. A patient needs to remember the reason for desiring the procedure in the first place. If done for the right reasons with realistic expectations, patients will feel quite satisfied with their new appearance. You should wait at least 3 months before electing to remove your implants. Most patients of your age should have their skin retract close to their status prior to surgery if the skin is of good quality. Be sure to discuss your feelings with your surgeon.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Hate your implants, remove sooner rather than later

+1

The best decision you can make about breast breast augmentation involves you and your feelings only. Common source of regret is augmentation at the urging of others, in the worst of circumstances to improve a relationship. If you are sure the implant is not for you the early removal will get your 'old' breast back. Just be sure and your hopes are likely to come true.

Explant After 2 Weeks?

+1

Dear TheOldMe, you are very early in your post operative course, and if you were my patient, I would recommend that you wait at least 6 weeks before making any decisions.  There was a reason you went in for a consult, then proceeded with scheduling surgery, continued on for a pre-op appointment, then followed through with the surgery.  You may be having post operative second thoughts, but over time you may start to really like the results. If in the end you do decide to remove them, it is likely that you will look very similar to how you looked prior to surgery, but now with a scar.  Good luckQ

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon