Expert Opinion Needed- Will My Expectations Be Met With 255cc Moderate Plus Profile? (photo)

I have a 34/32a. I want a natural look, similar to the last picture. Breast Width Diameter of 11cm Surgeon recommends 255ccs mod + profile. Any bigger and I will need a high profile implant which would look unnatural. Could that size implant give me a result that will be noticeably bigger, an a to a small c cup? I would hate to spend all that money for a very modest change in size..

Size

+1
I think you will benefit from extra volume given your desires and I would suggest a 300 or 330ish implant as 255 will likely be small for your expectations

Implant Selection Process

+1

I may recommend 300-325 cc.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Will 255cc implant be the right size for me?

+1

At first glance and without an exam I would say you are conservative but the final result is really created in the operating room. Rather than focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is inaccurate and manufacturer dependent), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given your results are achievable. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Breast Augmentation Sizing

+1

Thank you for the question and photos. Though it is difficult to determine implant size without an examination, your information is helpful. I would expect an increase to a natural but conservative 32/34 C by using a 255cc moderate plus profile implant. You might be better able to achieve your goal with a slightly larger implant, but that does not require going to a high profile device. This is something you should discuss with your surgeon. Often it is not possible to make the final implant selection until your surgeon places the implant at the time of your surgery. Getting a second opinion may also be beneficial, since many surgeons do not recommend high profile implants. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and expectations

+1

Thank you for your question. I think every surgeon would like to be able to say that "x" implant can absolutely meet a patients expectations. Your surgeon will and has guided you well...in my practice, we use Mentor's volume sizing system to help patients see what volume a given implant will yield. Unlike the sizers we have been using for years, these are concave on the inside allowing your natural breast a place to sit vs. being squashed against a normal round sizer. 

My patients have really felt better about their size decisions since we have instituted this in our office.

Thomas B. Lintner, MD, FACS

Implant sizing includes many factors for breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos. It is tough to say without seeing pictures of you and without knowing your height and weight. Also, getting sized in the plastic surgeon's office helps tremendously.

To have a better idea if 255cc is good for you, see more than one board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Sizing?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to get a precise advice without direct examination.

Generally speaking, patients planning on breast augmentation surgery  must communicate their size goals with their surgeon carefully.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Although potentially helpful, I do not think that the use of pre-operative sizers and/or “rice test”  is a precise enough way to communicate goals.  As you can imagine, a breast implant size or placed on the chest wall will not necessarily create the same look as the same size placed on the rib cage ( below the pectoralis muscle).

As you have mentioned, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.  

Expectations after Breast Augmentation

+1

Your doctor is guiding you in the right direction with the choice of implant. You are thin and your breast base diameter is 11cm.  Your tissues appears tight. I believe his choice is based on your anatomic measurements, and his intent is to give you a great result with the lowest risk of complications that may require a revision surgery. 

You really don't want anybody's opinion.  What you want are decisions based in evidence of effectiveness and safety, and the lowest risk of complications.  There is a well thought out and proven system to help surgeons choose the right implant with these goals in mind, and I think your doctor might employ this system. Regarding your aesthetic concerns, the choice of this implant will give you a noticible difference. No one can be certain that your expectations will be met except your doctor.  Discuss these concerns with your doctor prior to your surgery to be certain that he knows your goals and that you know his reasoning behind implant choice.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Expert Opinion Needed- Will My Expectations Be Met With 255cc Moderate Plus Profile?

+1

Based upon the posted photos still very hard to address the size issue. Personally I would go HP 300 cc. But that is my opinion. 

Meeting expectations from breast augmentation

+1

The key to meeting expectation after a breast augmentation is showing the look you want after, and finding a surgeon to work with you toward your goal. You don't 'need' a high profile implant and some of us use very few of them. A moderate profile implant will fit just as well, even above 300cc.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD.