Is It Possible I Am Experiencing Lateral Displacement? Day Number 5 After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

32 B Cup Before Augmentation. 425 cc silicone implants, sub-muscular. Day 3, felt implants 'drop'. Can feel implant 'ridge' under armpit. NO pain since surgery; numb under armpits and breasts. Think I did too much, too soon. No heavy lifting (10 lbs +) - but pushed/pulled doors, carried bags. Can feel implants 'pressing' on incisions. Mild pain in bottom/side breast region. Does it look like lateral displacement? Could I have damaged the implant pocket, or was the implant inserted like this? Is NO pain really possible?

Implant malposition

+1

If you have any concerns, you should see your surgeon.  He/she should be able to reassure you if all is well if it is.  If there is a concern about implant malposition, very careful post-op care is essential.  Sometimes the bra can be modified or massage recommended or massage discontinued.  The point is that all patients need close follow-up, especially those that have concerns. 

Is It Possible I Am Experiencing Lateral Displacement? Day Number 5 After Breast Augmentation?

+1

Yes possible as the posted photos demonstrate. But I believe the muscle is in contracted state and has not release yet. Thus the implant is displaced laterally by the contracted state of the muscle. Give more time like a few months than reconsider this issue. Best to you. 

Lateral Displacement

+1

Dear Ash,

A frontal view at day 4 or later would be most helpful.  Based on the pictures you have submitted, I am unable to see any significant asymmetry that was not present pre-operatively.  

If you are worried about lateral displacement or have any concerns about your surgery, you should see your surgeon.  My patients all receive my cell phone number and can reach me anytime.

You should know that with a sub muscular augmentation, the implants generally ride high for the first few days to weeks.  They then drop to a more ideal position.  In your case, the implants appear high and I would expect them to drop.

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Lateral Displacement?

+1

The post op photos you posted look reasonably symmetrical. No one is exactly even with or without surgery. And indeed on the pre-op photo the left breast looks a bit more lateral, though it may not a a true straight on photo. 

Your level of activity seems appropriate and it is most unlikely that anything you describe would have interfered with the normal healing process.  

Continue to follow your postop instructions from your surgeon, and address any issues at your post op visits. 

Thank you for your question, and for the photos which are quite helpful.

Lateral Breast Implant Displacement after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although I can understand your concern, I think it is too early to be worried about lateral displacement of breast implants. I do not think that you have done any “damage” based on your description of activities etc.

I would suggest the use of a soft/ comfortable bra to help keep breast implants supported.  Otherwise, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon, who is in the best position to advise you.