Prolonged Swelling (2 Weeks or More) After Lymphatic Massage

I had tummy tuck 9 months ago, also have been diagnosed with fatty necrosis in the lower abdominal area. I have received 2 sessions of lymphatic massage, the last one being about 2 weeks ago. Since then, I have experienced an increased amount of lower abdominal swelling, which doesn't ever seem to cease, day or night. The massage session consisted of a somewhat aggressive approach to my lower abdominal area for about 20 minutes or so. I am no wondering if the massage was done incorrectly.

Prolonged Swelling 9 Months after Tummy Tuck

+1

Regarding: "I had tummy tuck 9 months ago, also have been diagnosed with fatty necrosis in the lower abdominal area. I have received 2 sessions of lymphatic massage, the last one being about 2 weeks ago. Since then, I have experienced an increased amount of lower abdominal swelling, which doesn't ever seem to cease, day or night."

The vast majority of tummy Tuck patients are long healed by 9 months after surgery. You and your surgeon probably need to discuss the management of these areas. While no one wants to discuss surgery, it is time for it to be at least discussed.

Any swelling, warmth or unusual signs MUST be seen and evaluated by your plastic surgeon.

Dr. Aldea

Increased swelling after MLD to tummy tuck

+1

Have you discussed this with your physician? IT could be a seroma that would benefit from drainage or aspiration.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.