Anyone experience anything like this?

When I flex my muscles my breasts take on completely different shapes.  My scar tissue has attached to the muscle so my nipples have an indention when flexed, but what really bothers me is the difference in my breasts when my muscles are contracted.  I am 3 months post op.  Has anyone experienced anhything even remotely similar? And if so, can you tell me if it changed on it's own?  I know I am still "very" early on in the healing progress and that things change as far as a year after surgery, but I am so sick to my stomach.  My doctor is extremely vague when answering questions. Thank you in advance.

Animation deformity with breast implants - how to fix

+2

The pictures you show and the description are classic for what is called animation deformity, which is actually fairly common with the typical dual-plane submuscular placement of breast implants. It is due to the fact that the pectoral muscle is cut where it attaches to the chest, and the cut end of the muscle then heals into the scar capsule around the implant. So when you flex, you see it pulling there (called "windowshading".) It can be repaired by converting to a split muscle plane. I would be happy to send you a copy of my recent article describing this. (Info on my website too.) Best

Nipple indentation Following breast augmentation

+1
What you are experiencing is uncommon following breast augmentation but I have seen it a few times. The periaereolar scar is stuck to your pectoralis muscle through scar tissue in the breast. When you flex your muscles you can see a puckering at the scar around the nipple. This might get better with time and some massaging of the breast tissue in the area may help loosen it up. Otherwise, it could be treated with a scar revision which can be done under local anesthesia. I would discuss these options with your plastic surgeon.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Appearance when muscles flex

+1

The very simple explanation is that your breast tissue is not naturally under your muscle...but with your under muscle implants much of what you see as your breasts is under your muscle.  When you flex your muscle it squeezes your implants and elevates them- something that doesn't happen with your natural breast that is over the muscle.  And with the same concept, this is not seen when implants are placed over the muscle. There are several techniques to alleviate this- none of which work all that well.  It's something that most people accept as one of the downsides of under muscle implants.

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Anyone experience anything like this?

+1

Unfortunately this is a postoperative sequela of sub muscular placement of implants, where the breast tissue inferiorly to the N/A attaches to the pectoral muscle. Revision surgery is needed to correct, eg Alloderm placement or scar release or both. 

You have capsular contracture and implant sitting to high

+1

Your breast implants are under the muscle and your pectoral muscle is pushing the implants up. There scar formation between the incision and the breast capsule is causing the indentation when contract your pectoralis muscle. Based on the picture, you will need implant pocket revision and lift. Your lateral view would show the breast tissue is falling off the implant and this can be corrected with the breast lift.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Distortion of breasts

+1

Distortion of the breast shape while flexing your pectoralis muscle occurs with all submuscular implants. How visible this is is a function of many factors, including the size of the implant, the amount of soft tissue coverage and how much the pectoralis muscle was surgically released. Dynamic, as opposed to static, shape of the breast is not very controllable. While you can convert the submuscular implants to a subglandular position to minimize this dynamic distortion, there are other risks and side effects of subglandular placement that you must consider, otherwise you end up "chasing the imperfections."

Robin T.W. Yuan, M, D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Whats wrong with submuscular breast augmentation

+1

There are so many positives with breast implants placed under the muscle, though there is a drawback when the chest muscles flex. The implant can become distorted or push upward or lose shape. If you wait a bit longer as the pocket and implant work into the breast and settle and your result will improve. Some just can't tolerate the motion, and revision with subglandular placement will solve the issue.

peterejohnsonmd

Distortion of breasts after augmentation

+1

It would appear that you had a subpectoral (under the muscle proceedure) with early capsular contracture causing the prostheses to "ride up" causing distortion of the breast contoure. It also looks like the periareolar incision is caught within th deep scar attached to the muscle resulting in indentation when you flex.

If you like you can consult with another BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON, but dont't have another proceedure for at least 3-6 mos.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon