Has Anyone Here Had Experience with Stem Cell Breast Augmentation?

I am wondering what the long term effects are, does this last?

"Stem-cell" breast augmentation

+2

Stem cells are the current "hot topic" for many areas of medicine, including plastic surgery. However, it is not simply injecting a stem cell and watching your breasts grow. The truth is that we are only beginning to understand how to identify stem cells and to affect there potential in the laboratory. When people discuss "stem-cell" breast augmentation, what they are typically referring to is fat injections into the breast to increase size. The fat is removed via a liposuction technique, then the fat is processed to allow for injection of just the fat cells (no oil, serum, blood, etc.), and then injected into the breasts in multiple small channels. This can result in modest increases in breast size. Stem cells have been seen in transferred fat, but to make the leap and call this "stem-cell" breast augmentation is probably much more marketing than science. The reality is that the lipocytes themselves are adding volume to the breast. Unfortunately, the fat can have a tendency to resorb over time and the process of fat injection breast augmentation takes a considerably long time to perform.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Stem cell breast augmentation

+2

What is interesting is the differing opinions from us plastic surgeons. It reminds me back in the early 1980's, when liposuction was starting here in the states. Most plastic surgeons (I was 2 years into my practice) felt it could never work, there were a few of us, the pioneers or the innovators, that traveled to France, Mexico, Italy to learn this new concept of fat removal by a suction device like the D & C machine for abortions. Within 2 years LIPOSUCTION was the "new kid on the block". Every Plastic surgeon was doing it. It became for a time the #1 cosmetic operation done everywhere.

Now Fat transfer has been done for 10 to 15 years with moderate success. The Stem Cell concept to the fat grafts is very new. And guess what it DOES WORK! Like with innovation it takes time to understand the biochemistry, physiology,  human reaction, longevity. I have been doing the StemCellActivatedFaT (SCAFT) grafts for a few months and each one improves my experience and results. In fact there have been and are going to be meetings teaching the techniques to become experienced at this. (In New Orleans in Oct. 2010, is a course) So YES it can last and the results are becoming great! From MIAMI Dr. B

Stem Cell transplants for breat augmentation

+1

I have performed autologous lipoinjefction to the breasts but have heard that Dr. Rubin in Pittsburgh is using fat stem cells for war injuries. He will likely be adapting this for the breast.

Stem cell breast augmentation

+1

The new buzz words are "stem cells."  Fat has been inejcted into the breasts by some individuals and they do have stem cells, but the manipualtion of stem cells ot make breast tissue is a long ways away.

Fat Transfer to the Breast: Not There Yet

+1

The long term effects of fat grafting on the breast (especialy on cancer detection), and the best technique on how to do it, are not yet established.  Unless you are part of a research study where you will be followed up long-term by mammograms and other tests, my opinion is that fat grafting to the breast is not a great idea.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Caution on "stem cell" breast augmentation

+1

Fat tissue, removed by liposuction, contains stem cells which are sort of precursor cells that can develop into other types of tissue. The idea behind stem cell augmentation is to remove them from some of the fat, then add them to the fat that is to be injected so they are more convcentrated. Some believe that this increases the percentage of fat that survives, though I think it is a bit of a stretch to call it a "stem cell augmentation." There is some controversy about how stem cells injected into breast tissue affect the risk of developing breast cancer, so the technique remains experimental.

Richard Baxter, MD

This is all still experimental

+1

Fat grafting to the breast, weather it be stem cell or just plain old fat is still new and controversial. The degree of improvement is small and there can be problems with infection and fat resorption. When the fat goes away you can have clarifications which may look like cancers on mammography. The people who like to do fat augmentation will minimize the complications because they want to do the work. Breast implants are safe and have been in use over 40  years. Go with the tried and proven techniques.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Stem cell breast augmentation does not have FDA approval yet

+1

I have a lot of experience with fat grafting to the breast. I have done more than 180 patients . The use of stem cell for the breast augmentation is performed more in Japan and Europe. FDA has not approved use of stem cell for the breast  yet. My experience been that you do not need stem cell fortified fat for fat grafting. You can visit clinicaltrial.gov to get more information on fat grafting studies that are ongoing.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon