Percentage of Specific Complications with Cheek Implants?

Does everyone get the scar tissue (capsular contracture) around their cheek implants as this is how the body responds? Also, 1 out of, ..... is the chance you will get an infection, shift, etc? Some numbers would help from your actual experiences within your office!

Complications after Cheek Implant Placement

+2

In 35 years I've had one patient who got an infection after cheek implant placement and one patient who had implant movement after surgery. I've never seen a nerve injury.  Fat sculpting or fillers provide an excellent result, but  are not permanent; the results can be modified with more injections if you desire.  I've never had an infecton or nerve injury with the fillers.  

Complications from cheek implants.

+2

In 35 years of doing cheek implants the only complication I have had is an occasional infection and no nerve injury. This is about 1 in 500-1000. I still feel they give the best correction except for the minimal augmentation. Then I use fat or fillers such as Radiesse.

To Some Extent, Normal For Body to Form A Capsule Around Cheek Implant

+1

I have used cheek implants for cheek augmentation for over 20 years and yes, to some extent it's normal for the body to form a capsule around the cheek implant.  I have found that closure of the tissue layers from the inside out in multiple sections closes the potential space for the cheek implant to shift.  This combined with the use of a U-shaped, airline pillow, for the first month (so you're not sleeping on your face) will stop the cheek implants from shifting.

The cheek implants typically become quite stable within one month and strenuous activity can be resumed.  Infections, while they can occur are extremely rare in my experience.

The Complication/Revision Rate Of Cheek Implants

+1

The risks of cheek implants are infection, asymmetry, implant shifting and sizing and style concerns. Cheek implants are unique amongst facial implants because they are bilateral (two cheeks)  so symmetrical placement is always a key focus during surgery. I use screw fixation to permanently secure the implants into position and that eliminates the risk of migration or shifting. Sizing concerns can usually be reduced by being conservative, many cheek implants are removed because they are too big or oversized. The overall risks of cheek implant problems is around 5% or less in my experience.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Complications with Cheek Implants

+1

I feel that fillers such as Radiesse or Sculptra are the treatments of choice for cheek augmentation. They are very safe, simple office procedures and the results can be "fine tuned" to your preference. Why take a chance on a surgical procedure with an known infection rate and try to "guess" at how much cheek enhancement will look good? Furthermore, as your face ages, what looks good today might not look so good down the road.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

I no longer do silastic ckeek implants due to my personal high removal due to infection rate of over 10%. I use fat grafts or Radisse fillers.