Any Experience Mixing Sculptra with Own Body Fat?

My derm is recommending mixing one vial of Sculptra with my own body fat. Is this recommended over two vials of sculptra? Will my own body fat last longer/look better than a vial of sculptra? I'm a 35 year old male, 5' 9", 140 lbs with very little body fat and very skinny face.

Mixing sculptra and body fat for injection

+1

Sculptra is used to volumize the face. It is mixed with sterile water and then injected.   Autologous, (your own) fat, is also used to give volume.  They both have advantages and disadvantages.  As of this writing I am unaware of any literature that has studied mixing the two for injection.  My preference is to wait until there is some literature to support a new technique.

Sculptra mixed with own fat - unknown territory

+1

From your height and weight, it would seem you have a very low body fat percentage - if you sense that your body fat is decreasing, it would be prudent to see a physician to be sure there is no health issue at play.

As for mixing Sculptra and fat - as two separate procedures, you could employ both, but not as a mixed injection. As previously noted, Sculptra is re-hydrated with water and attempting to mix the solution with fat could conceivably create an unstable and unpredictable outcome.

Sculptra will thicken the skin with new collagen growth which restores volume. Fat injections mean you have to take the fat from some other location on your body, so you have a more involved process. As to which would provide the longer result, I don't think any one could predict this as your own body response will play a big part in the process.

We've had great results with Sculptra and the simplicity is appealing to many.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Certainly off label for Sculptra and new concept for fat grafting!!

+1

I am a Sculptra instructor who certifies injectors.  This technique is new to me.

While any physician is allowed to go off label, i would want to see some results in others with solid documentation before I would recommend this techniqe.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Mixing Sculptra with own body fat?

+1

I honestly am not familiar with this procedure.  Sculptra is typically mixed with water and with local anesthesia for best results.  It seems to me that you should either go with 2 vials of Sculptra OR with autologous fat, but not combining the procedures. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon