Has Anyone Had Experience with Bleph Incisions in This Location? Is There Any Chance These Might Heal OK?

I am 5.5 weeks post op from upper Bleph. I did have a hooding problem but I did not know that my incisions would be across the middle of my eyelids. My right incision has spread apart leaving a recessed area. I hesitate to put any makeup on these scars because the outside area is still tender and I don't want to cause damage while washing makeup off. I am currently using light vaseline with warm compresses and hiding behind big glasses. Any input is appreciated.

Scars at the sites of upper eyelid blepharoplasties

+3

It may take up to 6 months to have the incision areas look like the neighboring skin. Anytime one has trauma or surgical incision, it could take several months for the wound to mature. I see that you have obvious visible incision sites, I would not call scars at this time. Everyone behaves differently to the same surgical undertaking and I would not recommend any surgical intervention at this time and advice conservative approaches to mask the incision sites. It is possible that with time, these surgical incision sites may blend-in with your natural skin lines. Since I did not see your pre-operative photos, it is difficult to make any judgment calls about the approach your surgeon had to take to address your upper eyelid hooding problem. In any case, follow up your surgeon's advise, I am sure you had your faith in your surgeon's abilities before you decided to have the operation. Good luck to you and I am sure, with time you will be more satisfied.

Houston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unusual incision for blepharoplasty

+2

This up tilt of the lateral component of the incision is not the typical approach most of us take for this incision.  Although the scar will improve in appearance, I think it warrants a question to your surgeon about this unusual approach.  Not sure why that would be.  I would also be interested to learn the reasoning for positioning the scar that way and not inline with the regular eyelid crease.

Good luck

Dr. Vasisht- South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Has Anyone Had Experience with Bleph Incisions in This Location? Is There Any Chance These Might Heal OK

+2

The location of your scars is unusual. However, they will become pale and much less visible over time. You may want to inquire about laser therapy to reduce the redness. All the best.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Unusual location for blepharoplasty incision but should get better with time.

+2

Extending the eyelid incision on the eyebrow is unorthodox. However the scar is red and this will get better with time.

This incisions are not acceptable.

+2

Having said that, you are early from the surgery.  The redness will continue to improve.  However, it is hard for me to foresee these healing to the point were you will be happy with these incisions.  This type of incision is performed precisely when a surgeon feels they need to control lateral hooding.  I personally think brassiere suture are a much better option.  The reason is that most patients find extending the upper blepharoplasty incision as has been done for you, not very acceptable.  For this reason, I will explore the issue in more detail preoperatively and consider options like a forehead lift, or first performing a more conservative surgery with the option of extending the incision laterally as a second procedure if necessary.

Over the next 6 to 12 months, these incisions will improve and may heal to the point where they are acceptable.  If not, it is likely the scars could be revised to improve your appearance.