Will I Have the Same Experience BA After 10 Yrs- Revision?

About 10 years ago I had BA without Breast lift to correct tuberous breast pre-op 34B and flanks lipo. The implants used 300cc saline submuscular through areaola. I experienced a lot of vomiting and nausea after surgery. I do remember it being painful but on the third day I felt fine and actually resumed work on the fifth day after surgery. Will  I most likely have a quick recovery like the first time.

Recovery after Revision Surgery

+1

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to say if you will have the same experience because I don't have all of your medical history but generally, a revision breast surgery is less painful / less recovery than the first time around because the muscle has already been stretched (this is where the discomfort comes in).  I would suggest that you discuss with your surgeon  and the anesthesiologist about your previous nausea / vomitting episode so that they can adjust medication accordingly.  Best Wishes!

+1

Very hard to answer because I do not know more of your medical history. Most likely you will experience less N/V and pain due to better drugs available. 

Recovery after Breast Revision

+1

if you are undergoing an implant exchange breast revision, recovery should be significantly easier than the first surgery.  The implant pockets are already there, your prior breast deformity hopefully corrected, and your muscle has already been pushed out.   So pain should be much less.

If you had prior nausea and vomiting after surgery, make sure you tell this to your anesthesia team before you go to sleep. This way they can take the proper precautions to try to avoid that from happening again.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision

+1

My patients usually feel that the revision surgery is much less painful with a quicker recovery than the initial breast augmentation procedure. Let the surgeon (and anesthesiologist) know of your problems with nausea and vomiting at your previous surgery, as there are a number of steps that can be taken to decrease the risk of nausea with this next procedure.  Good Luck!

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Recovery After Revision Augmentation

+1

You did not mention the type of revision that are planning to undergo.  Assuming that it simply an exchange of implants, your post-op pain should be significantly less since the implant pocket has already been dissected.  The nausea and vomiting are another matter, but there are medications which can be given to lessen the chances of this as well.

John Whitt, MD

Revision Recovery

+1

This procedure should be significantly easier for you than the original operation. This is because the implant pocket is already defined and the muscle manipulation is what causes the pain in surgery. The nausea can be addressed by informing your anesthesiologist of your prior experience and manipulating the medications given during the operation.
It is always difficult to discuss how someone will perceive pain post operatively but your first experience is a good indicator.

You will do very well. Good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Revision Breast Augmentation Should Be Less Painful, with Quicker Healing

+1

The initial breast augmention procedure you had was done with submuscular implant placement.  This under the muscle stretch causes more pain, so your revision procedure should hurt less.  Anesthesia medications have improved over the past several years.  Make sure to tell your anesthesiologist about your problems with nausea in the past, but some of those feelings should improve with better technology.  With the advent of pain pumps, your surgery should hurt a tot less than 10 years ago, provided your plastic surgeon uses them.

Best of luck with your revision procedure!

Roy Kim, MD

Recovery after a breast augmentation revision

+1

The recovery after a second breast augmentation is typically much easier than the original surgery.  There is less pain involved because the pocket for the implant is already present and the skin/muscle have already presumably been stretched out.

You may still however experience nause due to the anesthesia.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Breast augmentation revision

+1

In most cases of breast augmentation revision, there is not as much pain and the recovery is usually easier. But this can vary depending upon the type of work that needs to be done.

Recovery can be faster with breast augmentation revision

+1

Because the implant pocket is already established, replacement of your saline implant can go quickly and smoothly with a weekend recovery. Post operative nausea is preventable with the correct selection of agents, and the right medications to fight the nausea, so discuss your past experience with your anesthetist. Hopefully they can review the past record to adjust the technique.

peterejohnsonmd