What to Expect for First Time Botox Injection?

Should I be concerned about first time Botox on frown lines? Lots of testimonies re: droopy eyelids.

First time BOTOX...

Although it is important to know the risks and complications of any procedure, please recognize that eyelid droop is a known, but RARE complication of Botox.

My only recommendation would be for you to seek the services of an experienced physician injector.

I think the key with Botox lies in truly understanding the anatomy of the injected area, and more importantly the variability in the anatomy between patients -- for brows, the forehead, and anywhere else you plan on receiving a Botox injection. This includes having a firm understanding of the origin, insertion, and action of each muscle that will be injected, the thickness of each muscle targeted, and the patient variability therein. As an aesthetic-trained plastic surgeon, I am intrinsically biased since I operate in the area for browlifts and facelifts, and have a unique perspective to the muscle anatomy since I commonly dissect under the skin and see the actual muscles themselves. For me, this helps guide where to inject and where not to. However, with that said, I know many Dermatologists who know the anatomy well despite not operating in that area, and get great results.

Good luck.

Dr Markarian

Chestnut Hill Plastic Surgeon

25 Walnut St
Wellesley, MA 02481

Botox for the first time

If you are treated by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is an experienced injector, it is rare to have a droopy eyelid.  Your injector will ask you to frown and watch for the muscle movement.  This way the Botox can be injected into the exact areas where needed to stop your frown.  You will love it!

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

1849 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4S 1Y2

Droopy eyelids after Botox not common anymore

Injected properly and by experienced physician drooping of the eye lids following Botox have become a rare side effects.

Over the years, we have learned where the danger zones are and if the injector stays away from thes areas, your eyelids will not droop.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

16100 Sand Canyon Ave
Irvine, CA 92618

Droopy eyelids are more common with combination therapy

There are many different ways of injecting Botox. You should see someone who is very experienced in its use. When treating the frown lines between the eyebrows, often referred to as the number “11” when they are present as two lines, one rarely sees droopy eyelids. This can happen when the forehead is treated at the same time and the muscle no longer keeps the eyebrows up and they fall. There is a standard area that experienced Botox injectors avoid over the eybrow so this doesn’t happen.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Droopy Eyelids Pretty Rare

Yes, judging by these postings you probably think that droopy eyelids happen all the time. In experienced hands this side effect is actually quite unusual. Make sure you see a physician who has been using Botox for a number of years. Do not ask for anything complicated, just standard Botox injections and I am pretty sure you will not have a problem.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

5320 Providence Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23464