How Soon Will I See Juvederm Results in Parenthesis Lines?

I just had a juvederm treatment and I really like the immediate results. I notice that the parenthesis lines on one side of my face seem smooth and the other looks a little deeper...does it take a few days to fill in or do I need an additional treatment?

Asymmetry after Juvederm

+1

If you are a side sleeper, it is really common for one side of your face to have deeper lines than the other-and most patients don't realize that they do this. I usually try to correct this at the first visit, but generally see patients back in 3-4 weeks, once swelling subsides to make sure a second "touch-up" injection isn't required. And if so, I do it at that appointment.  

Juvederm - parenthesis

+1

Usually if there are obvious asymmetries, this isn't something that will resolve over time.  The final effect does take a few days since there is always swelling immediately after injection.  I would return to your doctor - I'm sure he or she will be happy to correct any minor asymmetries for you.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Juvederm results are typically immediate...

+1

Juvederm results are typically seen immediately after the procedure.  You may have some initial swelling at the injection site that will go down usually  within a week.  Just remember that the two sides of the face are different and small asymmetries may exist even after treatment.  If a week has gone by and you are not happy with the results, you should make an appointment to see your plastic surgeon to discuss your conerns.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm results

+1

If you are going to have a facial filler like juvederm placed in the nasolabial folds, the results  should be fairly immediate.

Juvederm results are fairly immediate

+1

One great thing about Juvederm is the immediate improvement after treatment.  Occasionally you may have more swelling to one side versus the other, so waiting about one week after treatment is good to assess symmetry.  With that said, if you still have significantly deeper lines to one side of the face, you likely will need a bit more Juvederm.  It is not unusual to need 2-3 syringes of Juvederm for optimal results.   All of us have some facial asymmetry-- so one side may need more filler than the other.

In the future, if you like the results of Juvederm but need 2-3 syringes to get the result you want, you may want to try Radiesse instead.  This is a more "robust" filler-- usually less of this filler is needed to get the same result as Juvederm and it is perfect for the smile lines/parenthesis lines.  Plus, it last longer than Juvederm as well.

- Dr. Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and restylane filler for smile crease

+1
The effects of the juvederm and restylane cam improve the next day but if one crease needs more treatment than the other it may be retreated. Often it is best to wait a week or more b efore reinjecting the same area ro allow for the swelling to minimize. Some creases can't be injected away completely as lumps of the filler may be visible when the crease is too superficial.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm results can get better in the first 2 weeks

+1

Your results may improve more. You should see your dermatologist to determine if you need additional treatment after a fortnight.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Results immediate

+1

It sounds like you may need more Juvederm. It is not unusual to need 2-3 syringes to get full correction of the nasolabial fold (the "parenthesis"). Remember that the finer etched part of the line may not be the best site for dermal filling with currently available products as they may result in a bluish discoloration if injected into finer lines.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

How soon before results of Juvederm are seen?

+1

Juvederm results are seen fairly immediately.  To see the real picture one needs to give 2-3 days for the swelling after the procedure to subside.

If one side is great and the other still has a crease, most likely you may need additional filler in the deeper side.  We are all asymmetrical.  If there is more skin laxity or more mobility or more soft tissue/bony loss on one side of the face, the nasolabial crease would be deeper on that side, and may require more filler.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon