What Kind of Weight Loss Can I Expect After Liposuction?

I have had liposuction a week ago, and about 3.7 kg of fat were taken out. This was quite a lot, but obviously it is not yet visible due to the swelling and bruising. Should I be expecting a weight loss at all, although almost 4 kg of fat were taken out of my body? When can i expect it? Thank you very much.

How much fat is taken out during liposuction?

+1

Each liter of fat mixture removed is about 2 pounds. But if your Plastic Surgeon used Tumescent Liposuction, the solution can be up to half of what's in the canister. Thus, the true amount of fat removed is about half of that. For a person of average height, here is a very general outline of the amount of fat which gets removed during liposuction:

• love handles: 1.5-2 pounds
  • stomach: 2 pounds
  • outer thighs: up to 2 pounds
  • inner thighs: 1 pound
  • upper back: up to 1.5 pounds
  • arms: up to 1 pound

However, you will not end up 'losing' all of this weight. But you WILL have a dramatic difference in how you look!  

Ricardo L Rodriguez MD

Baltimore, Maryland

Weight loss after liposuction

+1

your results may be different than someone else with the same amount of fat removed. The figure given to you may include the liquids used such as anesthetic, or it may be the supranatant fat which is more accurate. Regardless, it will take a while, several weeks, to lose the swelling in the tissues, which will also affect the weight loss. Most patients are more happy with the volume loss after liposuction than the weight loss seen.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Weight loss following lipsuction

+1

According to my calculations this would amount to about 6.5 pounds of weight loss. However, you can expect to weigh more initially due to fluid retention. It may take about 3 weeks to level out.