What to Expect at a Tummy Tuck Consultation?

Hello I have my first consultation for a tummy tuck on Wednesday, October 2, 2013. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Or what I should look out for or ask? I've been reading a lot on realself.com but I find myself so nervous (and this is just for consultation, not imagine the procedure). Having to show my body to a complete stranger is not sitting well with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated THANKS!

What to expect from a tummy tuck consultation.

+1

You should be fully informed by your surgeon about your options including alternatives to a tummy tuck. You should be told about preparation, convalescence, risks, complications, and long-term expectations. You should be shown a number of pre-and postoperative results. It never hurts to get a second opinion.

+1

Most patients are anxious when they come in for any consultation. Caring physicians and office staffs are aware of that and try to make patients as comfortable as possible. Every office handles consultations in a different way. Most will ask you to fill out some initial forms and then have you discuss your medical history, your concerns and your desired outcome with the plastic surgeon. This is usually done with you fully clothed. Subsequently, staff will ask you to change into an examining gown to allow the surgeon to examine you. Usually what follows is a discussion of the various options and the recommendation of what would produce the most ideal result whether it is a modified tummy tuck, full tummy tuck, suction alone or one of the various forms of a tummy tuck in addition to liposuction.

Ideally, you should hear not only about the benefits of the procedure, but also about the possible problems that could develop. You should receive a quotation for the cost of the procedure. Each office does its quotation differently. Many will itemize the surgical fee, the cost for the operating room facility, and for an appropriate anesthesia provider. You should be given a chance to have all of your questions answered before you leave the office. Good luck with your consultation.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck consultation

+1

Basically the tummy tuck consultation will consist of a review of your medical history (medications, allergies, past surgeries, etc.) and a physical exam. Your plastic surgeon will need to determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure and if you may need liposuction of the flanks (love handles) performed at the same time. You should express all of your concerns about the procedure and the recovery. Be sure to ask about potential complications as well. Ask to see several before and after photos and/or videos of the procedure also. I would recommend consulting with several board certified plastic surgeons before making your decision. Bring a friend or your spouse if you are feeling nervous.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

+1

I think if you are comfortable with the decision you have made for consultation, this will go a long way with your comfort.  With my new patients, I first discuss history and goals.  The exam is very brief, and I can ascertain everything I need in a few seconds.  I think this minimizes patient anxiety.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

In our offfice the first 20 minutes or so with the doctor are with the patient fully clothed and involve a discussion of what the patient's goals are, the state of her health and then a very thorough discussion of risk. After that we go to the exam room where the patient is allowed to undress except for bra and panties and put on a drape. At that point a thorough exam is done along with an extensive discussion of what can and cannot be accomplished on her specific physique. This all takes about 45 minutes. Many patients are uncomfortable showing a body they are not happy with. Remember for the doctor you are an "art project", and our only goal is to do our best to create the result you want. If you are not going to see your surgeon during that visit (yes, some offices work that way) I would not even bother going to the consult. You are willing to spend a lot of money for our services and should expect very personal attention from the surgeon you are paying.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1

Most likely, the consultation will begin with you fully clothed, and your medical history will be reviewed. You will be asked to describe what it is that you would like to see improved. 

At that point, you will be asked to change into a gown or robe, and then the surgeon will examine you and make recommendations, often with the help of illustrations, and will some before and after photos. The recommendation may be for a TT, or perhaps for another procedure such as liposuction. The recommendation may be for liposuction in addition to the TT. 

Based on the recommendations you should expect to be given a quote for the cost of surgery, and for the operating facility and anesthetist. Most surgeons are sensitive to the fact that our patients may have considerable anxiety about the process, and we try to behave appropriately. 

All the best.